TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-23
In response to Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS (GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH)

Ah, I see a problem with culture here. Ill let you in a bit of cultural perspective. First, I agree that if someone doesnt like the situation, they should speak the truth. Now, when I stayed in Poland, and for that matter Central Europe, for 16 months, I learned about Slavic culture. First, Polish people like to tell the truth. If someone asks their opinion, they dont sugar coat it. In fact, if you ask an American: Hows it going, they'll invariably reply with great!!. In Poland, Czech Republic, etc., if you ask that question, people will reply how they actually feel. For example: I feel like crap because my dog died and I have a headache. People from the USA would not say that. They would just say, Im great. Its because of the salubrious American Can do capitalist attitude that you should always sound positive even if your day is bad.

So, if you ask Americans whats wrong? Theyre going to lie and say that their mother died and they have to go back home. They will NOT tell you that they find your city a problem or that they really just long for eating Twinkies and driving in their SUV drinking a litre of sweet sh^t from Starbucks. So thats just a cultural thing between realistic Slavics and Atkins dieting Americans.

As for the large amount of unemployed Americans seeking work in ESL, I didnt say they were good teachers. In fact, Im not a great teacher myself and Ill be the first to admit it. You are right that teaching is an art and a talent and NOT just a job. Having said that, the preponderance of unemployed Americans will still increase the statistical probability that youll find a talented teacher. Thats why I find you hard to believe when you say you cant find a good teacher.

The more honest you are up front about the school and the living arrangements and salary, they better youll be in the long run. Dont mislead teachers before they come. Rather, use that Slavic honesty and realism. Americans appreciate honesty even if they arent always honest.

Good luck

Messages In This Thread
UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-22
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Pro sensei Tokyo -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Dos -- 2004-09-23