TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-23
In response to Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS (GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH)

PolandI see. I hope you are not with ESCS, are you? I spent some time traveling in Poland and, yes, there is plenty of Polish hospitably to go around. However, it is not true that teachers just up and leave, are always irresponsible and have hidden agendas. Since Poland is a fine country, then the onus must be on you or your city.

Sorry, but just like in America, I found redneck cities in Polandsurprise..surprise. There are places in America, like Seattle, you couldnt pay me enough to live. Likewise, there are some really scary burned-out, blackened industrial places in Poland where no-neck men in black leather jackets look for a good brawl with an unsuspecting foreigner.

If this doesnt apply to your town/city, then, again, the problem MUST rest with your school. I suggest that if you really care about the quality of lessons and the high teacher turnover, you give your teachers a chance to write down any suggestions. You could even make a suggestion box so teachers can put in suggestions secretly and when an idea hits them. Or, you could just have a teachers meeting.

Hey, think of it as a free consulting service for your company. Your teachers will give you advice that will help you better serve your students and keep them happy too. You just cant convince me that all teachers are irresponsible and looking for a good time. As Ive stated on this board, I hate ESL but I also feel I have a job to do and ITS A JOB.

I work for a good English school in Japan. Yes folks, I never said my school was bad, just I wish I werent in this profession. Why is my school so good? Well, because the president always asks me for feedback on how to make things BETTER. Also, the teachers have a chance to teach with flexibility in the classroom. The money I make is average for Japan and the job is a typical ESL school. I consider myself fortunate in this regard because a BAD school will pay below market, micro-manage the teachers and take no suggestions.

Also, if teachers are just looking for a good time, why would they quit and move on? Usually, teachers stay with a school for their contract time even if they are just out to have fun. Why, because as I mentioned, the bread lines are getting bad in North America and even the young whipper-snappers out there know they need money for beer. So why would they leave your school if they want to have fun?

Learn from your teachers and they will learn from you.

Messages In This Thread
UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-22
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Pro sensei Tokyo -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- GREEN HILLS SCHOOL OF ENGLISH -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-09-23
Re: UNRELIABLE NATIVE SPEAKERS -- Dos -- 2004-09-23