TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome
riddlemethis - 2008-07-15
In response to The "Serpico" Syndrome (Yingwen Laoshi)

Excellent post Yingwen; in fact, well worth saving for future publication. Interestingly, I've discussed many of the points that you addressed with some of my brighter students. Especially the exam mentality.

A while back, I read an interesting article written by a teacher in China who had done a survey of successful English language students and not so successful ones. She was prompted to do so because of the question we've all been asked a thousand times: "Teacher, how can I improve my spoken English?"

The results of her survey were quite interesting in that they clearly pointed to the fact that those who stated their reasons for studying English as more associated with their need to get a good job, good marks etc. were the ones who faired the worst. While those students who had more communicative goals were the ones who faired the best - even those who weren't English Majors. Those who did well spoke of their desire to communicate well with foreigners or to make foreign friends and that sort of thing. To us this seems quite logical, but you're so right in noting that the exam mentality is a huge hindrance to progress.

Well, I'm busy packing and must catch a plane early tomorrow morning. Some of my students are seeing me off at the airport - the Chinese tradition of seeing the friend off as far as possible, and, amazingly, the university is paying the taxi fare for them to do so. It's a little difficult for me to say goodbye to this place. I've had some great students who have meant so much to me and that I know will be my friends forever. Time to say goodbye though; albeit, a little reluctantly.

I'll catch up with you another time. Again, awesome post.......................

Messages In This Thread
Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-11
Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-13
The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- riddlemethis -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome

Go to another board -