TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass
Yingwen Laoshi - 2008-07-11

Corruption at Western institutions? Lowering of standards for Asian students? Asians, the most coveted customers? Chinese parents offering bribes to leaders of those institutions?

I'm not sure what your argument is here, but you're not doing much more than reinforcing the valid criticism of the Chinese education system. You don't seem to be able to join the dots. If educational standards were higher in China; for example, less obsession with profit over professionalism, less emphasis on the superficial, like obtaining degrees and passing exams, over obtaining knowledge, ability, and language skills, there would not be such a market generated for Western schools to exploit (This in no way excuses the cheating leaders in said Western schools).

Imagine the following conversation:

British school leader to his deputy:

"Here come the new students from China (rubs hands together). I'm going to make a killing from this lot."

Deputy Leader

"How's that, then?"

School leader

"Well, a great deal of them have such poor English and practical thinking skills, that when we tell the parents that they don't match the criteria to enrol here, they offer us healthy bribes. I'm going to be rolling in it (imagines himself behind the wheel of a spanking new Porsche)."

Deputy

"But I heard that there has been a frenzy for English learning in China over the last five years or so, and Chinese students are supposed to be amongst the highest level of academically trained students in the world. What are they teaching them over there?"

School Leader

"Well, ..."

Messages In This Thread
Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-11
Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-13
The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- riddlemethis -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass

Go to another board -