TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Black List IN KOREA, Jayeon ESOL
Absolutely Not! - 2012-04-27

Enough is enough. I can understand someone's grievance and dissatisfaction if it's warranted and true. Granted, some of the things said about this school are true, but for the most part, they are PURE FICTION written by a group of vengeful teachers in a smear campaign. Furthermore, half-truths furnished here by this group of people are appalling. So, let's tackle the lies:

-the school NEVER confiscated passports. EVER.
-the school never withheld people's salary. EVER.
-the school never EVER stole from teachers. They did demand bills be paid. If you have to pay a lot for the gas, that's because you used too much gas. The school does not print gas bills, gas company does. All bills were available to be viewed by interested parties.
-the school is doing its best to provide teachers with some sort of a curriculum and a lot of support. Teachers have to do lesson plans: OMG! Scary. Welcome to reality of teaching and actually being accountable!!

Some of the half-truths:

-vacation time was cut by 50%. That is 50% from ONE MONTH, which is unheard of in Korea. The school still provides two weeks holiday (in blocks), while most other schools will do maybe 10 days, and rarely in blocks. Koran employees get a few days vacation, at the most. So, comparatively, Jayeon is still very generous.
-the smear campaigns do happen, mostly among the Korean staff. That's the way Korean businesses operate. You can be critical of Korean business practices, but then you should not work for a Korean business. It is simple.
-the school does have a pretty high turn over in teachers. This is primarily due to teachers leaving before their contracts are up. Why? Simply because they are expected to work!

What I know about this school, after working for them for a long period of time:

-the pay is comparatively good
-they did not pay into health insurance and pension schemes (though they did pay 50% of all medical bills-this worked out better as they would pay for things not covered by the National Heath Insurance) - now they pay for everything.
-they pay out the severance pay to all who finish. To my knowledge, they never damaged anyone by letting them go early.
-people stay at this school for 2-5 years, on average. Even some of those contributing to this discussion have been with the school for 2-3 years.
-the accommodations are not at their best - but there are worse! The building is old, but they do try to stay in top of things!
-school used to be quite generous with bonuses, dinners, Christmas parties... This is probably not so anymore, but I would argue this is due to teachers' performance

I am sure there is more stuff I could write about and I am probably doing disservice to both the school and the teachers by forgetting some of the more crucial things. I am not saying this is a perfect place to work... Which one is? But, if you need a job, it's a great place to work. Just obey the rules, and open your mind!

Advice to teachers who feel damaged: Go home! Korea's not for you. You give us all a bad name.

Messages In This Thread
Black List IN KOREA, Jayeon ESOL -- Absolutely Not! -- 2012-04-27
Re: Black List IN KOREA, Jayeon ESOL -- Fraud Buster -- 2012-06-21
Re: Black List IN KOREA, Jayeon ESOL -- Teacher -- 2012-08-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Black List IN KOREA, Jayeon ESOL

Go to another board -