TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › False advertising in flase ad article
#1 Parent Ian - 2004-06-20
Re: False advertising in flase ad article

So you are arguing with teachers who have been living and working in China on the basis of talking to a few Chinese in Beijing on a 3 day trip?
Work in China for a year, and not just in Beijing, and you will soon change your mind.

Your original post was waaay wrong.

> Rhombus
> You exaggerate. I met a lot of Chinese who were fluent in English on
> a 3 day (not 3 year) trip to Beijing. Our tour guides were good
> examples. I also met a lot of Chinese in Korean colleges and
> universities making more money than if they stayed home. That's
> right, they are Chinese nationals and teaching Koreans because the
> money is better. China CAN afford to supply and train and hire local
> English teachers but DOESN'T. The teachers they have do not get
> proper pay, supplies, upgrading and foreign experience. It is cheaper
> to bring in foreigners who will work for peanuts.

> When foreigners go into China the Chinese don't have to develop their
> own base of teachers. It is like sending tons of second-hand clothing
> to West Africa. It is undermining the local garment industry.

> If you like the charity work in China then enjoy it. I know European
> engineers who worked on the Three Georges project and they did not
> receive chicken feed for their skills.

#2 Parent Sinophile - 2004-05-07

Rhombus
You exaggerate. I met a lot of Chinese who were fluent in English on a 3 day (not 3 year) trip to Beijing. Our tour guides were good examples. I also met a lot of Chinese in Korean colleges and universities making more money than if they stayed home. That's right, they are Chinese nationals and teaching Koreans because the money is better. China CAN afford to supply and train and hire local English teachers but DOESN'T. The teachers they have do not get proper pay, supplies, upgrading and foreign experience. It is cheaper to bring in foreigners who will work for peanuts.

When foreigners go into China the Chinese don't have to develop their own base of teachers. It is like sending tons of second-hand clothing to West Africa. It is undermining the local garment industry.

If you like the charity work in China then enjoy it. I know European engineers who worked on the Three Georges project and they did not receive chicken feed for their skills.

#3 Parent rhombus - 2004-05-06

"Qualified local teachers?" I think you've been hitting the "bai jiu."
I've been in China nearly three years now and I've met maybe 2 Chinese who are even remotely "qualified" to teach oral English. Foreign teachers are not only needed here, they are BADLY needed.

#4 Parent Bruce S. - 2004-04-14

China is in a state of flux. There is much discontent with the double life that they live. They have one life for the state and their work and another for their friends and family. It leads for a real disconnect for them. It is almost sociopathic..... I mean psychologically that they are leading a double life that leads to something that I can not really define. In German it is called doppleganger...a schicophrenia here that is palpable.

Bruce in China

#5 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-14

John, you misunderstood my post. Philipinos teach themselves English. Chinese can do the same (Same is true of Korea.). There are lots of local language teachers in China, many who need jobs. I said teaching in China was a charitable act for foreigners as the pay is so so low. If a foreigner goes, then go ahead for your own reasons like tourism and cultural study.

#6 Parent John Woodbury - 2004-04-14

I am in China, that is why I posted that reply to the article. By the way, you are very wrong, good teachers are needed in China as elsewhere, I feel for you if you think oterwise.

#7 Parent Sinophile - 2004-03-23

The people making big money in China and Russia are the business men or entrepreneurs. Some have 2 or 3 "wives". It is widely discussed.

Teaching ESL in the schools is low low pay (except in the rich kid academies in rich neighbourhoods in Beijing and Shanghai.) If you go, consider it a charitable act on your part to the children and China's future and profit in other ways.....learn about the culture, history and language. Make sure you have travel health insurance and a good constitution. Same is true of many countries. If I were there on a tiny salary I would ask students to bring me fresh food to supplement my tiny income.
Remember you are not really needed. I mean it. China has access to English TV, video, computers, internet, film, CDs, tapes, books, magazines, radio, journals, and lots of qualified local language teachers. You are wanted for marketing the NATIVE SPEAKER thing and you provide that genuine experience, contact with a foreigner. Wants and needs are not the same.

John Woodbury - 2004-03-23
False advertising in flase ad article

Dr. Niu withstanding, teachers in China's Universities do not make anywhere close to (middle range) 10,000 USD a month!!! My Chinese math professors are lucky to take home 4,000 RMB a month in Shenyang China this year. I wish you would give me an e-mail address for the lady so I could relocate to the much better paying job, please.

Return to Index › False advertising in flase ad article

Go to another board -