TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Travel to Tibet
Songbird - 2004-12-17

Hey all,

Yes, I'm slowwlly settling into China and the culture here, there's been some frustrating times (mainly with the foreign officer here and contract, but he just has something against me, like most of my other employers :b .

However, next July during the summer holidays I really really want to travel to Tibet and to Everest Base Camp. I've been told that there will be a new train line opening from Lanzhou (closest to me, though a 10 hour bus trip) to Lhasa. Has anyone heard about this and give more info? Is there a website (in English) that I can research this more? It would be so much cheaper than having to train to Xian, then to Chendgu then to Lhasa.

And how do you get to Base Camp (or more specifically, Rongphu Monastery where I'd like to stay)? I know I need to get a 4WD, but can I book here before I go, or get the hotel in Lhasa (well, I'll stay in a hostel or something) to find and book one for me? I don't want to spend a FORTUNE (though I know they're expensive to get out there), all I need is a way to get to the Monastery, stay a couple of days then get back to Lhasa.

Any help would be great- yes I know I've gotten in early!

Songbird

Messages In This Thread
Travel to Tibet -- Songbird -- 2004-12-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Travel to Tibet

Go to another board -