TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: (Midnight) Runners
foxy - 2013-04-03

Well, Turnoi. I'm sorry to interrupt your joviality to post why a married Kiwi couple pulled a runner. Their contracts specified that the college would provide them with transportation from their accommodation to the campus on a daily basis However, instead they were provided with a bicycle each. Now bcycles are a means of transportation, which is distinct from 'transportation' in this context. The couple asked to be taken to the Shijiazhuang college by car or be allowed to reclaim relevant taxi fares. The college rejected their request. So, they were miffed enough to pull runners, and had returned to NZ by the time Monday classes were due to be taught. As they were still with L visas and hadn't been offered contracts, the college was powerless to make trouble against them. Some of our fellow readers might say the Kiwis shouldn't have pulled runners, but I'd say they were entitled to do so. I'm sure they were relieved to be back in unpolluted NZ away from dirty, noisy,polluted and featureless Shijiazhuang city.

That college invites all its new FTs to arrive with L visas, then evaluates their teaching until shortly before the October National Holidays, when the FTs they wish to employ will be given the necessary paperwork to do HK runs, after having undergone medicals successfully. As for those FTs whose teaching isn't up to scratch in the eyes of the college, they will be discarded at that time.

I think all FTs should be made aware that teaching with a Z visa is also illegal if said visa has not been processed to obtain the associated Residents Permit. To invite FTs to come to China and then expect them to teach illegally, even just for a few weeks, is poor employment practice. That's how tricky the Chinese can be. So, I have no sympathy for schools that have lost FTs who've pulled runners. Losing face bigtime is a deserved punishment for uncaring and cheating Chinese bosses!

Messages In This Thread
Re: (Midnight) Runners -- foxy -- 2013-04-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: (Midnight) Runners

Go to another board -