TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching positions for older people in Korea
#1 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-05-11
Re: Teaching positions for older people in Korea

Wendy, you really didn't address Don's question. He aksed about teaching jobs for older people in KOREA. yes, China is much easier for an older person to get a job, but Korea is more difficult. I am 50 (in three days,send those birthday cards lol) and it was much harder to find a teaching position in Korea than in China - even though I have 27 years certified teaching experience and two masters degrees.

Don, what budda says I agree with - hang in there and keep trying if korea is your goal - if you are willing to go elsewhere, Wendy is right about China.
Good luck!

#2 Parent wendy.coakley - 2004-04-02

Plenty of jobs for over 60's with teaching experience. I got in touch with Anglia Scholars liuweidan@hotmail.com. I am well over 60 and have been teaching in China for two years. You will be appreciated and will enjoy your teaching too.

#3 Parent Budda - 2004-03-21

Don
I suggest you post your resume on this site and state your case.
You can also post on pusanweb.com in the classified section and also daveseslcafe.com
Many agents and school owners use/see those messages.

There are several things going on in the Korean ESL scene at the moment:
1. Age descrimination
2.#####descrimination (females prefered, although females leave in droves)
3. One is hired for one's good looks. They want to see your photo before your resume and yet many school owners are no beauties themselves.

The schools want people who superficially attract business ($$$$). Many are not really interested in ESL education. Having a teaching degree seems unimportant. If you can get to Korean and make a network for yorself there is work here, a lot of it part-time, and you can make $25-$30/hour. If you teach 5 or 6 classes a day your income is good. Where there's a will there's a way.

Dominique Doyen - 2004-03-21
Teaching positions for older people in Korea

Does anyone know of a recruiting agency that will hire a highly qualified and experienced teacher who is sixty years old. I realize that most readers have no interest in this topic, but if your're lucky to live long enough(no one does it on purpose)someday you may have this problem too.

Cheers,

don

Return to Index › Teaching positions for older people in Korea

Go to another board -