TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion
Theo - 2009-05-03

Angelina's arranged a telephone interview for a job for me with a woman in Australia. After lots of assurances the job and conditions were decent, I left the city I had lived and worked in for years (Nanjing) and headed to the capital of another province to the west.

The job and working conditions were nightmarish. It turns out the woman whom I interviewed with on the phone was the daughter of the lunatic running the program in China. My teaching hours were ridiculous - a split: 8:00-11:00AM and 4:00-9:00PM. My apartment (although nice, my best in China) was a VERY LONG bus ride away in the city, while the school was outside the city. Therefore, I had to stay at the school (in an office with no stable internet connection or basic professional amenities) during the long break between classes.

The school bathrooms were the filthiest I had ever encountered in China (and there's some tough competition there) with no privacy whatsoever -- just a long trough for both functions. The stench was unbelievable (but of course the head master had excellent, personal facilities on the other corner of the tiny, ugly, treeless campus).

I learned that just days before I had arrived, the students in my program had thrown rocks at the college owner's office protesting their terrible dorm and classroom conditions.

When I complained bitterly to Angelina's they refused to remove me and place me in another school; not wanting to anger their slimy "client" in Australia (whom they knew all along was in cahoots with her mother).

I quit after two and half months -- and 40 DAYS of diarrhea, no kidding. I recovered once I was out of the hellhole, and never, ever dealt with Angelina's again.

THE WORST!

Messages In This Thread
China: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Chris -- 2006-06-20
Re: China: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Raj -- 2012-01-12
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Peter -- 2009-05-03
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- William Scanlon -- 2009-11-09
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Theo -- 2009-05-03
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Smitty -- 2010-05-04
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- ted -- 2010-05-06
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- KS -- 2010-05-07
Forgery and Fraud in and out of China -- FT in China -- 2010-05-05
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- MB -- 2010-05-01
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- The Owl -- 2009-05-03
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- iapplied2angseslcafe -- 2009-07-09
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Lucy -- 2009-08-30
About Angelina's ESL Cafe - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Tefl Expert -- 2006-07-05
Angelina's Cafe - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-06-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -