TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
rudely awakened in SZ - 2009-03-26

My, my did I have an eye-opening experience in Shenzhen today! I'm very new to the city. Been here about a month and a half.. Found myself out of work and looking and decided to explore every option out there, including kindergarten even though I'm not real crazy about it. I hooked up with a woman who describes herself as an "agent." (I can practically HEAR the eyes rolling out there.) She asked if i'd ever taught KG and I confidently responded "many times." Anyway, i've been in China for almost 6 years and have taught many, many KG classes. But when I walked into one kindergarten today I really discovered that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. For starters I encountered no fewer than 4 other foreigners already working there, all men, and 2 of them quite young, maybe in their 20's. I'd never seen a KG with so many full-time foreigners. Most of the places I've been the school had one that usually worked only a few hours a week. And they were darn thankful to have that one and had pictures of him or her plastered all over the place. I was asked to do a "demo" class and they handed me a book they were currently using. It was a disaster and I felt like an imbecile. I was watched by 3 of the Chinese staff and it was plain from the start they expected more from me than I was providing. In every other Chinese city in which I've worked the KG was so happy to have a flesh and blood foreigner that if I successfully strung a few English words together I was hired on the spot and paid a handsome hourly wage for doing next to nothing. Not in Shenzhen, baby!

Can anyone offer advice and insight as to what these schools are looking for in their "demo" classes? And a word of caution to any foreigner coming to Shenzhen from a smaller Chinese city: This place is very different. There are lots of us white folks here and schools can definitely be a lot more picky. Either have a job lined up or have a lot of money or you'll be in trouble quick.

Messages In This Thread
KG in SZ -- rudely awakened in SZ -- 2009-03-26
Re: KG in SZ -- An A A -- 2009-03-26
Re: KG in SZ -- RA in SZ -- 2009-03-26

Go to another board -