TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
The Arrogant One - 2004-10-18
In response to The Real Thing (What's In A Name)

:) My dear sir,

I very much appreciate the statement of how you feel as a part of the ESL shtick. Yes, things WERE better in Asia at one time, particularly in Japan during the last "bubble period," when I was TRULY happy to be a part of the scenario. And, when the "bubble" broke and I returned to the States (1992), I, too, found those doors WERE shut, and this was despite any advantageous experience I might have acquired by teaching Asian students on their home turf. Albeit it is now 12 years later, and the overall dismal state of the nation's economy -- not to mention the sad aftermath of 9/11 -- has reduced greatly the number of Asian students to U.S. ESL schools. Fortunately, I teach TOEFL, which is still regarded as a "specialty" hereabouts. Nonetheless you can well imagine how even I shake in my boots whenever there is an unexpected teacher's meeting called! It IS that bad hereabouts. One NEVER knows when a class will suddenly be cancelled. I might add that, thus far, several ESL schools have bit(ten) the dust in this fair city.

I happen to be a musician (percussionist), formerly an active pro in both the symphony and rock-n-roll circuits. When I hurt my shoulder several years ago and had to seek another means of livelihood, the B.A. in English (focusing on writing) I was wise enough to acquire before having embarked upon my international musical career was MOST useful in assisting me in the rsum-writing business I later conducted (for 9 years) right here in Los Angeles. When business started to take a dip nationwide, I, like so many others, panicked and I began to seriously consider trying to make it outside the country. I simply gravitated toward ESL. It seemed like the most logical thing to do, and I was VERY happy I had ... that is ... until I accepted a post in China. I'll not go into the gory details, except to say that I got good and screwed! That's history now, but I doubt that I would accept another such offer from that part of the world, even were I to be offered DOUBLE!

My point is, even though you've chosen to live outside of your native land, and many will frown at that choice, you have still made your own life's determination. As we both realize, there are, regrettably, those "certain areas" in contemporary Asia where such independence is verboten. Be that as it may, would you not consider it your duty, if not desire, to do your best to attempt to educate those
"ultra-brainwashed" types to at least accept the existence of opinions other than what they have been led to believe from the start? But, there I go again, on that damned hobbyhorse of mine, attempting to change the world. Please forgive me and, once again, thank you for such a frank post.

Love from,

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
The Real Thing -- What's In A Name -- 2004-10-13
VIVA ESL! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-18
Red Herrings, brush offs and belittlements.... -- Madge -- 2004-10-14
always hiring -- What's In A Name -- 2004-10-14
three cheers... -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-14
Well said -- Dos -- 2004-10-14
glad to hear this -- What's In A Name -- 2004-10-14
agism is alive and well -- bulldog -- 2004-10-14
RE: Ageism -- Laowai -- 2004-10-21