TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Newbie Question(s)
#1 Parent Amelia - 2004-10-18
pros and cons

> where can i find blacklists of schools?
> i _did_ want to teach children but also because i thought it would be
> easier. what are some of the pros/cons to teaching adults vs.
> children?

> thank you for the response!

Children:

Pros: easier to teach if English is also your second language, if you enjoy the enthusiasm and fun related to children and their activities, then it might suit you, it is rewarding when you see the progess.
Cons: you might run into SOME children who don't want to be in control of their behaviour and who enjoy ruining your day, children sometimes forget to bring their books, etc.

Adults:
Pros: They are in control of themselves,and you can make some good friends.Sometimes to show their appreciation they might take you out for a meal and drinks. I've only ever had one strange woman in a class, who didn't like the question "How are you?", as she thought it was culturally unappropriate. You can have an intelliegent conversation.
Cons: No cons for the teachers, but for the school, they can just come for one month to socialize with other people who are advancing in life, and then drop out for no reason other than there was no dating potential in that class.

Hope it helps.
Amelia :D

#2 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-18
Pros and Cons

Well, I find that there are pros and cons to teaching kids or adults. Probably culture and the type of school will also be factors.

Currently, Im teaching old housewives in Japan that have no motivation to really learn English. Its not like teaching Europeans to pass the Cambridge Exam or young Asians to pass the TOEIC exam. So the problem is that, well, its boring.

Teaching kids is for sure more work. I have kids from 3 to 12 years old. For these kids, you just have to make a bunch of quick lessons for a shifting attention span. You have to have a lot of kinaesthetic activities and less book work. Im not trained in child psychology, other than one psychology course in university, so Im sure I could be doing things better. A lot Ive learned was through trial and error. Probably the only reason I like teaching ESL, if at all, is the challenge to teach those little tykes.

I've also taught Korean teenagers in an ESL school in Canada. I can attest that Korean teenagers, like any teenage kids, are a pain in the buttocks. However, Korean parents would punish them severely if I told them about their malfeasance. In Japan, kids can do nothing wrongbasically spoilt.

My point, I guess, is that if you feel you have a talent for kids, target them. Stay away from teenagers, as should be no surprise. Adults, if they are too old, are just a waste of time. Youd have more fun teaching grass to grow.

Its not that adults are too old; its just that in Asia, middle-age people are inflexible and boring. Yes, I too am almost middle-age. But, coming from North America, I believe in change and new challenges. Asians, on the other hand, dont like changejust ask them.

My advice is go for the kids and eschew boring adults. Just my humble opinion.

#3 Parent PJ - 2004-10-18
blacklists

I have found that in general, kids in Korea are rude and obnoxious. Especially in english schools where they know that mum and dad are paying for them to be there so we gotta kiss their ## basically. Adults dont call you racist names etc.. which I have had children do to me.
Try this URL for blacklisted schools. Keep in mind though that directors change and schools go through changes http://hagwonblacklist.tripod.com/list.html
See ya
PJ

#4 Parent yep, me again - 2004-10-18
2 more questions

where can i find blacklists of schools?
i _did_ want to teach children but also because i thought it would be easier. what are some of the pros/cons to teaching adults vs. children?

thank you for the response!

#5 Parent PJ - 2004-10-18
avoid recruiters

Things you should know:
1) Avoid recruiters like the plaque instead approach schools yourself
2)see blacklists of schools, these are helpful as people who post these arent just making stuff up for no reason.
3)If you dont have teaching experience, avoid having to teach children, instead look for a place that teaches adults.
Best of luck
PJ

Thunder VanBrocklin - 2004-10-18
Newbie Question(s)

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions, first of all I am American, have a B.S., a little teaching experience, and would like to get a teaching position early January in south Korea, teaching k-12. With that out of the way..here are a few questions.

1) Can someone give me a breakdown of what the cities are like? I have heard horror stories of rural locations..I like nature and scenary however I figure that I could travel and get away to see the sights. I would like to live in a place with a social setting, hopefully with some semblance of friendliness...any recommendations?

2) Are there placements all throughout the year? For example, will I have more difficulty finding a position during January.

3) What is the best method for obtaining a position? I realize that there are recruitment agencies, but also there are the postings on ESL sites -- does anyone have recommendations regarding these postings or how to research and pursue these postings?

4) Is there any advice in general? I have been corresponding with a TESL teacher who has been very helpful but I any other advice would be appreciated.

Lastly, I thank anyone who has taken the time to read this long-winded post and especially thank anyone who takes the additional time to respond, THANK YOU!

Thunder

Return to Index › Newbie Question(s)

Go to another board -