TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Positive details please
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-11
In response to The Affiliated High School of Peking (Simon Johns)

Wow, thats bad. Im getting the impression that teaching in China is nothing more than being equal to a dog. I mean a dog in China that is, as dogs in other first-world countries have a pretty good life.

I believe that these negative postings are proof that people should NEVER take a job sight unseen as well as believe a recruiter or school. Likewise, you should always have enough money saved to bail the hell out of there.

I think that is just prudent judgment and Im actually shocked people are relying on airfare upfront and a return ticket. Even I went to Japan with $6,000 and spent half of it before I landed a gig. Of course, I made it back and then some pretty quickly. However, I had money saved and an emergency plan to bail at 3 months or $4,000, which ever came first.

Why do you teachers not have an exit strategy or go and look around first? Yes, you must have a couple thousand saved to do that, but for crying out loud, you are going to a foreign country and a communist one at that!!!

And finally, lets put some of the good schools on this board please. Also, please post some good experiences with China. When you do post anecdotal stuff, please be specific about how you handled problems and point out the good and the bad. That is, dont just say: I think China is great and I didnt have any problems. That isnt helpful. Please, people post things about what YOU DID to make it successful.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
The Affiliated High School of Peking -- Simon Johns -- 2004-10-11
Positive details please -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Positive details please

Go to another board -