TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Double Standard? Who??
breeze - 2004-10-03

Nice to hear from you Western mathematician.

> Actually, if you apply to graduate school in the US in mathematics, you probably would get a good stipend and have a BETTER life than we ESL teachers in China.

~~ A stipend is too hot for me, I have to think about it, what goodness have I done to the USA? it's a drag on your welfare. I DON'T want to be an "economic migrant", that's shameful!
What I want is some experience of teaching math + chinese in a Western high school.

A better life? are you joking? The salary for a chinese there is less than US$1500/month, right? then $700/rent, $5/lunch, $100/coat, ... , traveling is at his expense ...
Here you get CNY3000 - 8000/month, right? then Y0/rent, Y5/lunch, Y100/coat, ... , traveling is reimbursed ...
Whose life is better?

> For the experience, Id like to teach mathematics and NOT ESL in China. Ive taken math through differential equations for my science degree. Can I find a Chinese school to pay me to teach calculus in English????

~~ Bilingual teaching is sought after here, if you can speak mandarin it's not difficult to find job of teaching math in a school here.

> You see, why is it you Chinese think all we Western people are good for is teaching English?

~~ Not all Chinese think so, could you teach translation? comparative literature?

> Do you think you have more education? I dont think so, but I doubt you would give me the opportunity to teach mathematics in China!! What a double standard.

~~ No, I never think so. I can give my job to you if you like it + able to do it better.
In this normal college, I'm teaching elementary number theory and a course called "High School Math Competition" something like the International Math Olympiad.
I taught calculus 10 years ago, but now too many teachers for calculus, and I can't ask them to stop and let you in, sorry. Hopefully it's easy for you to adapt, ok?

> I worked with Chinese scientists and they ARE NOT smarter than the occident. I get sick of hearing this. In fact, I had to fix many problems in the lab caused by a Chinese.

~~ I'm so much sorry to hear that, the chinese causing problems to you, he was able to go there not because of his diligence but because his family has lots of money or a relative being a high ranking official in the government, I guess.

> Now, I dont mean this to be racist. As Im NOT implying one race is
better than the next.

~~ Thank you, but it doesn't matter even if you do, haha ...

> Merely, I have seen too many jobs given to Chinese people when there are more than enough professionals in America, namely scientists that have no jobs.

~~ Really??? Have they got better lives in America? I'm sorry for the jobless American scientists.

> Why do you want to leave China, isnt it enough that all our good manufacturing jobs have gone there?? And now you want to take a job in America too. Thanks a lot pal!!!

~~ I have NO intention to leave China permanently or to stay in the West long. Nor am I interested in your -good manufacturing jobs- here.
Why do you come to Asia for job? it's just the experience of culture / environment ... And as for me, the skills to open a center for western middle/high school students here to learn math, in the future ...

Messages In This Thread
chance in a western school, possible? -- breeze -- 2004-10-02
Isn't offshoring enough for you..what else do you want?? -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-02
Double Standard? Who?? -- breeze -- 2004-10-03
Eastern Mathmetician -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-03
misunderstandings -- breeze -- 2004-10-05
Reality -- breeze -- 2004-10-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Double Standard? Who??

Go to another board -