TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › brits in korea
#1 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-02
British have the field

I was just jokingly referring to gaining a British accent Actually, believe me, Im on your side. Even though Im a N. American, I believe the British have done a better job at promoting better ESL teaching techniques, materials and testing. Even when I compare British ESL textbooks with American, I find the British books brilliant. Simply, the British have invested more money and effort into the field.

However, I dont want to go as far as God save the Queen. In fact, Im also a Canadian, father Canadian and mother American, and I must admit it pisses me off to no end to see her on our money.no hard feelings mate.

As for me being too old for a career in ESL, no I can run circles around the twenty somethings. I have 3 and 8 year old kids in my class. I was told that I couldnt handle it because it was too much work(also I dont have blond hair nor can I sing and dance). But even with that against me, I got work in Japan and I love my kidsjust not the brain-dead housewives I have to teach (no, not the sexy oneswere talking in the 50s here).

Good luck in Korea, if thats what you REALLLLLY want. I hear its no paradise.

Cheers

#2 Parent dean - 2004-10-02
elitist or anti-American?

You mistake elitism and snobbery for, if you will excuse me, anti-Americanism. If English speakers liked America (as opposed to Americans), then the American Bastardization of English would be looked upon as 'cute' or 'quaint' rather than 'degenerative' and 'vulgar'. How many times do you see Canadians or Ozzies criticized for their accents when there is, arguably, just as much ground for it?
I make no value judgments in saying this, rather I point out what appear to be facts.

#3 Parent dean - 2004-10-02
by the way...

By the way, what do you mean by 'too old to train'?
I only ask because I am 35 (trained last year)and wondering what kind of perspective you were coming from.

#4 Parent Ian - 2004-10-02
English ancestors

..but I doubt those ancestors spoke English! Probably just grunts and shouts. A bit like some of my students perhaps! ;-)

> Yeah, right. You act as though you had any part in it at all. Go back
> far enough and we all have the same ancestors, so actually, we all
> "invented" English.

#5 Parent rolling eyes - 2004-10-02
sick of elitist snobs

Yeah, right. You act as though you had any part in it at all. Go back far enough and we all have the same ancestors, so actually, we all "invented" English.

#6 Parent briton - 2004-10-01
We invented the English language.

End of discussion.

#7 Parent dean - 2004-09-30
brits

> Hello Dean, a few koreans here too. Jobs for adults are very hard to
> find in Seoul. I suggest you try the south part, medium cities.
> British teachers are welcome in Korea, but they are the 3rd choice
> these days. 1- Canada, 2-US.

> Best,

> Kim
thanks kim

#8 Parent Kim - 2004-09-30
Brit searching

> hello

> I am planning to arrive in seoul sometime in october to look for a
> job 'on spec' teaching adults.
> I know you guys are mostly yanks and canadians, but do you think a
> limey stands a reasonabley good chance of landing a job?? I had a job
> offer from a hagwon but he wanted me to teach in a N.American accent!

> any advice would be helpful

Hello Dean, a few koreans here too. Jobs for adults are very hard to find in Seoul. I suggest you try the south part, medium cities. British teachers are welcome in Korea, but they are the 3rd choice these days. 1- Canada, 2-US.

Best,

Kim

#9 Parent dean - 2004-09-30
brits in korea

oh man dont tempt me!
however, you assume that I WANT a yank accent. I'm coming over there among you guys to teach the language as it should be taught!
God save the queen and dont even mention the war and germanic linguistic expansion. color is 'funny' to a limey only because of its illegitimacy.
Thankyou for the advice though, I wish you every happiness.

your humble servant sir.

#10 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-29
chewing gum

Sure mate. All you have to do is tell them that you lived in Canada for awhile, thats why you spell things funny: like colour. Then, buy some chewing gum and put a wad in your mouth before speaking and ..presto, you have a Yank accent.

Im sure you can find something. There are schools in Japan that specialize in limey-talk. I remember that when I taught in Europe, it was difficult for me to compete with the Brits. I worked hard to adopt a Brit accent and even did the CELTA at a British school. Alas, I was too old to train. But even though you Brits have the market locked-in over the Atlantic pond, I still found a job. But that EU requirement is far more stringent than a Korean hagwon requiring a certain accent.

Cheers and good luck :-)

dean - 2004-09-29
brits in korea

hello

I am planning to arrive in seoul sometime in october to look for a job 'on spec' teaching adults.
I know you guys are mostly yanks and canadians, but do you think a limey stands a reasonabley good chance of landing a job?? I had a job offer from a hagwon but he wanted me to teach in a N.American accent!

any advice would be helpful

Return to Index › brits in korea

Go to another board -