TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?
#1 Parent me - 2004-09-21
Re: It ain't China's fault

> Is there something missing in your life? You need counseling for
> depression.

> XI

I disagree with the writer,too. But I am not going to insult him because of it.

#2 Parent Arrogant Teacher - 2004-09-17
Re: Movie

> Mr. Arrogant,

> What are you doing here instead of watching the movie Alien vs.
> Predator. The wrist blades, the wire gun, and the shoulder cannon are
> awesome!

> Incheon

> PS: Enjoy the movie.
===========================================

Mr. Incheon,

Thanks for the movie recommendation, but I have more "fun" with YOU GUYS. However, so far as films are concerned, I wish to suggest something up YOUR alley ... "The Manchurian Candidate" (either version). Mind-grabbing, isn't it? I'm certain it has particular meaning for YOU. It sort of reminds me of the old adage about "throwing stones." BUT, if you guys could ever reach the point of being able to tell the difference between fact and fantasy ... hell ... we might even have a chance of being friends one day! I trust I've spoken plainly enough for you to comprehend my meaning?

The Arrogant One

#3 Parent Incheon - 2004-09-17
Movie

Mr. Arrogant,

What are you doing here instead of watching the movie Alien vs. Predator. The wrist blades, the wire gun, and the shoulder cannon are awesome!

Incheon

PS: Enjoy the movie.

#4 Parent Arrogant Teacher - 2004-09-16
Re: It ain't China's fault ... It's Xi's!

> That's your opinion Miss Tick. Just too bad that Mr. Mooney did not
> address directly my previous comment. I heard similar words than his
> from many teachers, depressed and heavy drinkers.

> XI
=====================================================

Ahhhh...XI, XI, XI .... in the immortal words of the late Ronald Reagan, "THERE YOU GO AGAIN!" Your commentary is even more redundant and arrogant than my own! Whereas you merely critique each and every post which offends your precious "values," you have chosen to ignore the many useful comments made by others on Mr. Mooney's behalf. Rather than further deflating the man's ego -- especially in light of the obvious amount of guts it took to both recognize and confess such turmoil in his professional life -- you might (for once in your own miserable cooexistence) concentrate upon shedding just a mere modicum of sympathy for someone in trouble. To me, as well as to so many others on this board, you tend to represent the WORST possible characteristics of your entire "breed!" You are TRULY an A**H*LE of the FIRST magnitude! Congratulations on having made the grade! Graduation Ceremonies are scheduled for 2PM at the City Dump.

The Arrogant One

#5 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-16

Dear Dr Xi,

what a quaint rejoinder! i really must jot that one down for the archives...i'm sure there's a button here somewhere i can press to save me the trouble...though really, it's marvellous isn't it when those who have arrived so late in life to what they think is the English language make such courageous attempts to deduce what has been expressed by others more competent than they! nothing encourages like encouragement as my old stan struggled so bravely to express from the strictures of his iron-lung confinement after that puzzling episode following the great Scone rodent plague of 1973...but there i go again with my silly reminiscences...what an old fuddy duddy i am!

yours encouragingly,

Miss Tick.

#6 Parent xi - 2004-09-16

That's your opinion Miss Tick. Just too bad that Mr. Mooney did not address directly my previous comment. I heard similar words than his from many teachers, depressed and heavy drinkers.

XI

> Dear Dr Xi,

> what a lucky forum this is to have the services of a resident
> physician such as yourself so expert in matters pertaining to
> psychiatry, and able to diagnose so precisely such a severe
> neurological condition as has apparently afflicted our friend Mr M.

> i have been led to believe that china in fact leads the world in this
> area, and has a wonderful network of depression - counselling centres
> for people just such as him and others like him, all of whom suffer
> from neuroses of the "the-world-is-not-flat" variety.
> perhaps you could recommend him for admission to one in his area?

> yours hypocratically,

> Miss Tick.

#7 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-16

Dear Dr Xi,

what a lucky forum this is to have the services of a resident physician such as yourself so expert in matters pertaining to psychiatry, and able to diagnose so precisely such a severe neurological condition as has apparently afflicted our friend Mr M.

i have been led to believe that china in fact leads the world in this area, and has a wonderful network of depression - counselling centres for people just such as him and others like him, all of whom suffer from neuroses of the "the-world-is-not-flat" variety. perhaps you could recommend him for admission to one in his area?

yours hypocratically,

Miss Tick.

#8 Parent Michael Mooney - 2004-09-16
Re: Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

Wow!! I didn't expect to elicit any responses and didn't plan to get drawn into any sort of online discussion. But, a few things I read really resonated with me.

The post I'm responding to now seemed to hit the nail on the head in terms of how I feel. And a lot of the recommendations I think I've already implemented.

The basic observation that brought about my original post was this. As a student, in classes taught by good teachers with lots resources to teach, I'm often bored and find it useless. No surprises.

But, when I talk to other foreign teachers (good teachers, people I sincerely like) teaching with fewer resources, to more students, every day's wunderbar.

Finally, I think I do an okay job, better every day. I care about my job, my students and so on, and SOMETIMES like what I do.

Note: I'm prone to exaggeration. Off days turn into hell on earth. Good days start me singing 'Time in a Bottle'. It's only to keep things interesting.

Michael M.
sinomooney.bravehost.com

#9 Parent xi - 2004-09-16
It ain't China's fault

Is there something missing in your life? You need counseling for depression.

XI

> Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

> I've been teaching now in the PRC for a year and change and have a
> confession to make, and, as there are no Roman Catholic priests
> around, figured I'd unload here.

> Alright. Here goes.

> I don't always love my job.

> Every time I try to bring up how teaching is going with teachers
> (who, despite my negative outlook, I hold in high regard), I hear
> things like 'super', 'excellent', 'having a blast', and 'brilliant'
> (from the British teachers).

> At that time, I'm ashamed to say what I feel, which, if I were to be
> entirely honestly, would often go something like this:

> "Tried to make some jokes. Some kids laughed, mostly out of
> pity. The activity I planned didn't work. Found out halfway through
> class only three kids understood me. Wasted 15 minutes trying to find
> out which five kids whose names where on my attendance register
> actually weren't in class. Wanted to end 10 minutes early, but felt
> guilty so played impromptu game of 'Pictionary'".

> After two years and lots of effort, these feelings have waned a bit.
> But, I suspect that these sentiments are underrepresented in everyday
> conversation.

> Thanks for your time. I think I feel better now.

> Michael M.
> Guilty English Teacher

#10 Parent Maitu Senseworth - 2004-09-16

I don't know if you're looking for advice, and if you're not, read no further. However, if you are looking for a little something in the way of a rejoinder...

...it seems that you have the sensitivity and perspicacity to realise when things aren't going well and, furthermore, it concerns you when things aren't going well. Now prepare yourself for a shock my son. These are not traits commonly to be found amongst those of the general population, never mind among the many employed as English teachers in China or anywhere else for that matter.

You could either:
1. Give up.

2. Keep going and try meditation or alcohol as a means to suppress the guilt.

3. Keep looking for a better way to do things and eventually get good at what you do(with the result that you would eventually be able to do your job successfully with less prep, much less anxiety, and for more money).

A class such as you describe would really give you a great opportunity to experiment. Let's face it, it sounds like things couldn't really get any worse in there at the moment!

Some suggestions for choice 3 above:

1. Relax.

2. Keep looking for a better way and realise that you have to pitch at both those you consider as your "best" and those you consider as your "worst" performing students (you might be surprised as to where abilities actually lie).

3. Know when it's time to stop trying with students who don't want to do anthing, and focus on those who do.

4. Be suspicious that there might be more to teaching than just presenting a continuous succession of those often ridiculous activities as taught by allegedly prestigious teacher training outfits. ie students do appreciate being taught something now and then. Find something concrete to focus on occasionally.

5. Find out what others are doing to make their classes so allegedly fantastic and brilliant, and - if there's anything worthwhile - use it or adapt it.

6. Realise the fact that you do care probably means that you're doing better than what you give yourself credit for.

7. Don't be afraid to try new things.

8. Don't be worried about just spending time on simple things like reading aloud to them, getting them to read aloud (thereby checking their pronunciation, voice modulation, phrasing, comprehension, vocab etc etc) or engaging them in simple discussions about things that interest them or are of direct relevance to them. Even making an effort to find out about such things has the effect of lessening the social distance between you and your students, allows you to understand them better, and selfishly allows you angles from which to approach future lessons.

9. Encourage students to help each other. Use your more advanced students to help the slower ones; encourage them to explain to each other (in any language) what is it is you as the teacher are expecting them to do. Get students to check each others work and to be critical of each others language usage and of yours.

10.Your aim is not to be knocking yourelf out. You present and direct. They do the work. Any materials preparation that could be done by students should be done by students at your direction.

11. Ignore this "Joe". As a recruiter or agent he obviously has his best interests at heart;

12. Relax.

13. etc...

I agree with you that the sentiments you describe are underepresented in everyday conversation or on internet fora. Very rarely do you come across such an admission as yours. It's a matter of honour; nobody wants to admit that they don't know what they're doing, and let's face it, in this world there aren't many who really do know what they're doing.

I certainly don't.

(Sorry if all this was uncalled and or for any offence caused.)

#11 Parent joe - 2004-09-16
Enjoy pleasure with your teaching

Dear Elizabeth,

Please enjoy your teaching English majors in your university in China.
Wish you would achieve more in ESL field.

have a nice day

#12 Parent joe - 2004-09-16
why not leave that school

Dear Michael Mooney,

I am very sorry for your teaching in China with kids who do not quite understand you in your classes.

I agree much with Eliz. that you had better find a suitable school like a college and university where you will be best understood.

I hope you would take time to plan a relocation in China, should you have any incomveniece in relocating , please write to me for help.

Take care.

#13 Parent Elizabeth - 2004-09-15

Hello, How discouraged you sound. Please don't despair.

What age level are you teaching? If you are looking for lively discussions with lots of feedback, may I suggest teaching university level English majors. I am in such a position and I love it. They are focused, energetic (most of the time) and I get a real kick out of their half-baked notions about the US (where I'm from) but these lead to some terrific discussions.
Since they are older I can enjoy playing ping pong, badminton, shopping for CD's, etc. with them after class. I'm definitely a mother figure to them so that helps with the overall issue of respect. But I am by far no gray haired granny! They took me rollerskating and I blew the doors off the place.
I set the bar high and they know it. I am their teacher, not their best buddy, but they have come to trust me.
Each day I take roll call by having the students respond to an answer to a sentence I right on the board. I enlist my class monitor for this activity who checks off each name. Actually, I consider them my TA. So, no one tries to cheat on attendance. The first year I taught, I had heard of this ruse and took digital photos of all of my students. I had them write whatever name they wished me to call them (Chinese or English) on the chalkboard and I photographed them next to their name! I would bring my laptop with the photo files to class in case I suspected foul play! But the kids were savvy enough to realize I had out-foxed them. (at least in this regard!)

Guilt works at this age level as I am quick to remind them of the incredible financial sacrifices their parents are making in order for them to continue their studies. However, I am a firm believer in the power of positive reinforcement. I spend much more time praising those that actively take part in class. But I don't have a problem with writing on the chalkboard the names of those students who have failed to turn in an assignment etc. No one likes to be set apart from the rest of the class as an underachiever.

Unresponsive students are the bane of ESL teachers here, I'm curious what other teachers do?
Perhaps, if you would tell us what grade level you teach we could be more helpful by offering some practical solutions.

Do I always leap out of bed every morning eager to face another day in class? Oh h*** no. But I have found a good age level for me to teach. I could not imagine teaching elementary or secondary level students or even university level non-English majors. Others, wouldn't trade working with those youngsters for the world.

Well,I hope I have been of some small help to you, my fellow teacher. Stay in touch!

Best regards,

Elizabeth Kiderlen

> Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

> I've been teaching now in the PRC for a year and change and have a
> confession to make, and, as there are no Roman Catholic priests
> around, figured I'd unload here.

> Alright. Here goes.

> I don't always love my job.

> Every time I try to bring up how teaching is going with teachers
> (who, despite my negative outlook, I hold in high regard), I hear
> things like 'super', 'excellent', 'having a blast', and 'brilliant'
> (from the British teachers).

> At that time, I'm ashamed to say what I feel, which, if I were to be
> entirely honestly, would often go something like this:

> "Tried to make some jokes. Some kids laughed, mostly out of
> pity. The activity I planned didn't work. Found out halfway through
> class only three kids understood me. Wasted 15 minutes trying to find
> out which five kids whose names where on my attendance register
> actually weren't in class. Wanted to end 10 minutes early, but felt
> guilty so played impromptu game of 'Pictionary'".

> After two years and lots of effort, these feelings have waned a bit.
> But, I suspect that these sentiments are underrepresented in everyday
> conversation.

> Thanks for your time. I think I feel better now.

> Michael M.
> Guilty English Teacher

Michael Mooney - 2004-09-15
Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

I've been teaching now in the PRC for a year and change and have a confession to make, and, as there are no Roman Catholic priests around, figured I'd unload here.

Alright. Here goes.

I don't always love my job.

Every time I try to bring up how teaching is going with teachers (who, despite my negative outlook, I hold in high regard), I hear things like 'super', 'excellent', 'having a blast', and 'brilliant' (from the British teachers).

At that time, I'm ashamed to say what I feel, which, if I were to be entirely honestly, would often go something like this:

"Tried to make some jokes. Some kids laughed, mostly out of pity. The activity I planned didn't work. Found out halfway through class only three kids understood me. Wasted 15 minutes trying to find out which five kids whose names where on my attendance register actually weren't in class. Wanted to end 10 minutes early, but felt guilty so played impromptu game of 'Pictionary'".

After two years and lots of effort, these feelings have waned a bit. But, I suspect that these sentiments are underrepresented in everyday conversation.

Thanks for your time. I think I feel better now.

Michael M.
Guilty English Teacher

Return to Index › Am I The Only Teacher Who Feels This Way?

Go to another board -