TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Alien vs. Predator
Miss Tick - 2004-09-20
In response to Alien vs. Predator (Incheon)

Dear Ms Incheon,

I feel compelled - for the sake of the sanity of all who read this board, and in fact for sake of the future of the human race in general -to express my dismay and alarm at the serious malapropism that appears in your rather interesting if not wholly relevant post. If we were to allow you to use with abandon the phrase "a short review" to describe what is quite clearly "a summary" or "a precis", then we would be opening a veritable Pandora's Box, and the ensuing wailing of women and the casting of selves to ground would be sounds and sights of a gravity much too extreme for this old fuddy-duddy to bear.

For example if my youngish nephew Norman were to go the store and ask for a packet of tampons, having decided - as a protest against what he perceives as the apparent arbitrariness of the relationship that exists between the linguistic labels that are applied to concepts and the concepts themselves - that he would henceforth use the word "tampons" when referring to those cylindrical paper tubes of paper filled with tobacco that form the mainstay of many of the world's great economies,he might thereupon subject himself to the possibility of disappointment or even danger if he were to attempt to use the purchased product in the manner intended for the product that he was actually desirous to procure.

However, this is, perhaps, not a good example, because I have heard tell that youngish Norman, the darling that he is, "would smoke the wire from a retread", (whatever that means)...but I think you know what I centipede,

yours cinematically,

Miss Tick.

Messages In This Thread
Freedom of Speech -- Dimwit -- 2004-09-17
Re: Freedom of Speech -- Hyades -- 2004-09-20
Re: Freedom of Speech -- AF -- 2004-09-18
Re: Freedom of Speech -- Laowai In China -- 2004-09-18
Re: Freedom of Speech -- Dolly Drummond -- 2004-09-17
Freedom is in the eye of the beholder. -- xi -- 2004-09-18
Re: Freedom is in the eye of the beholder. -- Laowai -- 2004-09-19
Re: Freedom is in the eye of the beholder. -- Dolly Drummond -- 2004-09-19
Re: Freedom is in the eye of ONLY Xi! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-09-19