TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › By-passing recruiters
#1 Parent Steve the Viking - 2004-09-04
I had a good time at one of the AES schools

I worked for AES (Aston) school in Jinan last year. The experience was amazing. The staff helped me out in every way possible - the Chinese staff are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. The social life rocked - great restaurants, ok bars, good stuff to see nearby (Qingdao, Taishan). The pay was great (6,000 a month), I got a $1000 bonus after 1 year and had the best year of my life. Weekends were busy (14 hours) but adult classes in the week were fantastic.

AES has employed a lot of people over the years and of all the teachers I met here and in other cities most are very happy with how they have been treated. Those who weren't were complete crackpots who wouldn't be happy anywhere.

> Hello Fred:

> Some schools in China do not use recruiters. In 2002 I taught in
> Dalian in northeast China for an American company called AES
> (American Educational Services). Remember, there is no perfect school
> but AES has many school in China (17 I think) in various cities. The
> pay is good, the hours suck (always work weekends), but the
> experience is awesome.

> AES advertises a lot on TEFL.com. They may even advertise on this
> site. I would recommend it.

#2 Parent Barry - 2004-05-14
Re: By-passing recruiters

Hello Fred:

Some schools in China do not use recruiters. In 2002 I taught in Dalian in northeast China for an American company called AES (American Educational Services). Remember, there is no perfect school but AES has many school in China (17 I think) in various cities. The pay is good, the hours suck (always work weekends), but the experience is awesome.

AES advertises a lot on TEFL.com. They may even advertise on this site. I would recommend it.

#3 Parent ESL Teachers Board - 2004-05-13
Re: By-passing recruiters

Please check this link about recruiters in China:

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/articles/index.pl?read=852

Fred - 2004-05-12
By-passing recruiters

Hello. My name is Fred and I live in Vancouver, BC Canada. I have sent my resume and passport photo to a few recruiters about teaching jobs in China but have had no job offers so far. I would like to teach at an elementary school as I have previous teaching experience (Grade 2 teacher and substitute teacher) in the Province of Manitoba, Canada. I completed two years of teacher training in elementary education at Brandon University in 1976. I held an interim teaching certificate but it expired in June, 1981. I want to emphasize that "I DO NOT HOLD A DEGREE". I have a diploma in Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) that I completed in September, 2003.
I have been reading the Job Discussion Forum at Dave's ESL Cafe website and the impression I get is that I should avoid using recruiters in my search for a teaching position in China or other countries. How does one by-pass having to go through recruiters in their search for a job? Don't most schools use recruiters to find potential teachers for any teaching positions? If I don't wish to use recruiters, how else will I be able to find a job?
Finally, are there any Canadian teachers who have taught at elementary schools in either Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong that they could recommend as a good place to teach, with good staff, standards and school reputation?
I would appreciate hearing from any teachers who were able to find good teaching jobs either on their own or through other means, WITHOUT RELYING ON RECRUITERS? Thank you for your assistance in this regard.
Fred

Return to Index › By-passing recruiters

Go to another board -