TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Has anyone heard of HELLO TEACHER or JESSI ENGLISH CENTER?
#1 Parent Interesting - 2005-01-01
Jerome=Yakup?

Jerome the owner of Jessi center sounded like Yakup of Yakup International.They sound as bad as each other to me.I have been a foreign teacher in China for 3 years now and I read job postings and other informations about the schools,recruiters and recruitment companies all the time ,this is my first time to know Jessi center,It must is not that good.

#2 Parent The Observer - 2004-12-31
really?

oh lapping larks with rainbows and flowers. how much did you get for the advert?

#3 Parent Beijingesa - 2004-12-31
my good experience with jessi center

Hi, I just found this thread by chance. And I really wanted to let you know that my experience with the jessi center was excellent

I came to China under those conditions aqbove.
They seemed clear and straight to me. It took me 4 weeks between my first contact with them and my arrival from Europe.

--- If you do not want to discover a little, don't demand a return ticket guaranteed first or do not expect to catch the essence of a place behind a computer with your travel guide on your knees. Stay home and watch National Geographic on TV. oups i am a bit angry. I read so often this kind of comments on some sites, choosy people who want things checked and 150% sure before taking the first step. A FEW PRECAUTIONS HELP TOO! but you cannot know how it really is and how it really works before you get there! ---

So about Jessi Center, everything was fine on my side.

I was welcomed in good conditions, taken care of, and after some trouble to find me a good place there, they found me another job in another part of China, even if I think I was not an easy recruit for them.

To tell you straight, I flatly refused the first long term job they proposed me. They did not say anything and looked for something else. They could have thrown me away like dirt or being angry ... they did not!

They found me a job -a good one- a few thousand of km away.

So I lost contact with them, but I am very thankful to them because they helped me to stay here, and instead of the 4 months duration I came here for first, I am now in my second year with a great job and a nice life.

thx

#4 Parent Jerome - 2004-10-28
Answer

Dear all,

Please let me answer to your questions:

The centre advises teachers to come to China with a tourist visa because it is easier for us to change it into a working visa. In the past, some teachers asked for all the documents in order to get working visa from their original place, what they did but did not come to our place. It is not that easy to provide all the needed documents. I hope you can easily understand this.
The center provides working visa under specific conditions: the applicant should have a teaching certificat or a bachelor degree. These documents are required by the government.

Teachers always want to get all the assurances, what I clearly understand but I hope you can understand that schools also get cheated by teachers (believe my experience).

I was very surpised to see how rude were your words toward MY school. Let me just inform you that the purpose of this organisation is to provide a wonderful experience to foreigners and help chinese students with their conversational skills and not to make money.
Also regarding the fact that Non-native speakers are also accepted, I can guarrantee you that some of them are much better teachers than Native speakers (and they can teach other languages).

Indeed, as you can read, I am not an English native Speaker.

I hope everything is clearer for you now.

Jerome
Owner of Jessi English Center

#5 Parent Globe Trotter - 2004-08-22
Re: Has anyone heard of HELLO TEACHER or JESSI ENGLISH CENTER?

I just looked at the website. It was obviously written by a Chinese person who may not realize how what they wrote will be read by foreigners.

However, I would be wary of ANY school that has a constant need for teachers. This does not bode well. :-(

#6 Parent newbie sensei - 2004-08-22
Re: Jessi = Paul Adler?
#7 Parent DoS - 2004-08-22

I don't know about this *particular* advert, but it is very common for teachers to come to China on a tourist visa, which is then changed for a Z class visa once in China.

Mainly the reason is: Ease and expense. It is a real pain to get a Z class visa outside of China, more expensive and quite a lot slower.

The school can arrange the Z class in China much more easily, and should be at no cost to the teacher (for a private school, dunno about universities).
You should be careful though that the school is allowed to hire foreigners, and has the proper paperwork. You really must make sure you will get a Z class visa. If they mess you around then the chances are they aren't legal. Go and find another school that is!

Having said that, some places are cracking down a bit on this practice. I have heard you can get a Z class in HK. Can anyone verify this?

> Sorry for the bold letters. Has anyone heard of any of the two? I
> came across their website, which looks and sounds like a scam to me.
> (I might add... a scam targetting the non-native speakers).

> Here's what was written under "conditions":

> * Give us your dates of availability

> * Obtain a Chinese tourist visa (at home or in Hong-Kong)

> * Assure us that you are fluent in English, with a flawless
> pronunciation*

> * Teach 15 to 20 oral English lessons per week (1 lesson is about 45
> minutes)

> * When needed, help the centre advertise (speeches, flyers, TV
> commercials...)

> * Otherwise we wont be able to give you a full time schedule. We
> wont be responsible if the school partners are not satisfy with your
> non-standard accent.

> Of course, I may be wrong. I just find it very daring for a
> "school" to openly advise prospective teachers who intend
> to work in China to enter the country on a tourist visa. Their
> assurance of converting the tourist visa to a working visa does not
> even sound assuring:

> "We can provide a working visa under CERTAIN CONDITIONS. please
> bring a copy of your diplomas, a letter of recommendation and a
> medical health certificate."

#8 Parent Curious - 2004-08-21
Jessi = Paul Adler?

Could you provide their URL?

> By the way, I took a closer look at their website. It looks like the
> one made by ESL Asia. Check out the so-called references. Everyone
> started teaching since 2001...

#9 Parent newbie sensei - 2004-08-21

By the way, I took a closer look at their website. It looks like the one made by ESL Asia. Check out the so-called references. Everyone started teaching since 2001...

newbie sensei - 2004-08-21
Has anyone heard of HELLO TEACHER or JESSI ENGLISH CENTER?

Sorry for the bold letters. Has anyone heard of any of the two? I came across their website, which looks and sounds like a scam to me. (I might add... a scam targetting the non-native speakers).

Here's what was written under "conditions":

* Give us your dates of availability

* Obtain a Chinese tourist visa (at home or in Hong-Kong)

* Assure us that you are fluent in English, with a flawless pronunciation*

* Teach 15 to 20 oral English lessons per week (1 lesson is about 45 minutes)

* When needed, help the centre advertise (speeches, flyers, TV commercials...)

* Otherwise we wont be able to give you a full time schedule. We wont be responsible if the school partners are not satisfy with your non-standard accent.

Of course, I may be wrong. I just find it very daring for a "school" to openly advise prospective teachers who intend to work in China to enter the country on a tourist visa. Their assurance of converting the tourist visa to a working visa does not even sound assuring:

"We can provide a working visa under CERTAIN CONDITIONS. please bring a copy of your diplomas, a letter of recommendation and a medical health certificate."

Return to Index › Has anyone heard of HELLO TEACHER or JESSI ENGLISH CENTER?

Go to another board -