TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Want to be sure, that's all
cirene - 2004-08-17

Hi-I'm a 32-year-old American professional looking to "change my life" and try teaching English in China. I have been offered a 1-year contract at an Elementary School in Dongguan(Guangdong Province). It sounds like a dream. It sounds...too good to be true. I am really new to this world and you all sound pretty experienced and as though you've had time to formulate some opinions on the life of an ESL teacher in Asia.
I'm kind of starting to get "fishy" vibes about the company that is offering me the contract. They have a website (in Chinese, so I can't open it-or read it if I could)but cannot be found by doing an English-language internet search of their name (New Asia International Educational Consultancy, Ltd.). I also can not seem to find the school they run, Westlake Elementary School, anywhere on the internet. Their "American contact" appears to be a residential address in San Ramon, CA.
Has anybody out there dealt with them. Are they reputable, above-board, professional, etc? I just feel a need to be a little more certain before I sign any contracts.
Thanks a bunch,
Cirene

Messages In This Thread
Want to be sure, that's all -- cirene -- 2004-08-17
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- dee -- 2004-08-18
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- da yan jing -- 2004-08-17
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- cirene -- 2004-08-17
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- DoS -- 2004-08-18
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- Cirene -- 2004-08-18
duh -- DoS -- 2004-08-18
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- Da Yan Jing -- 2004-08-17
Re: Want to be sure, that's all -- Cascadia -- 2004-08-17