TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Suspected sexual predator masquarading as an Englishteacher
#1 Parent concerned teacher - 2004-08-14
Re: Suspected sexual predator masquarading as an Englishteacher

Thanks alot for your advice & support. I know I feel better hearing a real teacher in his 40's understands. You are right about the weeding it out. Im sure my students would feel better knowing that more foreigners understand & are also concerned about getting rid of this kind of guy.

It really is my own fault though. I can't blame the school since he was only the 3rd foreign teacher they have had & the first older male. They see from tv that we all think about sex all the time, but i honestly don't believe that my boss thought it was anything more then talk. And he kept pretty quiet after I made my feelings clear to him.

I felt that i had been bitching about this guy too much but now I realize I should have tried harder to make the school understand that he is a dangerous person & would be considered a criminal back in our country. Regrets, regrets...but the good news is...HE"S GONE. for now.

> It can make things harder for people to get a job, if they fall into
> the "suspicious" profile, but I believe any teacher is able
> to find a job, maybe later rather than sooner.

> And once you have that job, by your good work and good behaviour you
> will build up a positive impression.

> Cases like this one should be dealt with harshly, and if it makes it
> a bit more difficult for men in their 40's (like me) to get a job I
> think it is a price we have to pay. In the long run it will be better
> for everybody if these bad types are tracked down and weeded out.

> My sympathy to your school and students, Concerned Teacher

#2 Parent Mike B - 2004-08-13

It can make things harder for people to get a job, if they fall into the "suspicious" profile, but I believe any teacher is able to find a job, maybe later rather than sooner.

And once you have that job, by your good work and good behaviour you will build up a positive impression.

Cases like this one should be dealt with harshly, and if it makes it a bit more difficult for men in their 40's (like me) to get a job I think it is a price we have to pay. In the long run it will be better for everybody if these bad types are tracked down and weeded out.

My sympathy to your school and students, Concerned Teacher

#3 Parent concerned teacher - 2004-08-13

Thanks for your support. The owner of my school has informed the police here & I think is trying to get in contact with his friend at an embassy in Thailand. I do realize there are many many more of these types going to Thailand, but if even one is stopped then I will sleep better at night.

True about teachers who have nothing to hide. One thing about the Chinese people that i have met, they are usually very good at judging people correctly. Too bad they missed this one. Or really, too bad they made so many allowances, stocking it all up to "the foreign way".
If the good normal teachers are out there, then they will prove themselves by their own actions.

I'm pretty sure his passport is real. We have a copy of it at school. He was here for over a year (lord knows what else he was doing that we haven't yet found out about) and I did contact one of his references, and I have seen originals of his other id documents. I know he is from Oakville-Toronto, Ontario area. So, yes, his passport will be tracked & hopefully be caught before he strikes again.

Each of is is responsible for the image we portray to the people we meet in China. The good ones will just have to outnumber the bad in the future. Thanks for your reply.

> Concerned teacher, you are doing the right thing. If your school and
> the police can right away communicate with the Thai and Filipino
> embassies, so much the better. It is best to warn people before
> everything is too late. As to other males who "may" fit the
> description, what is wrong if you have nothing to hide? The burden of
> proof is not yours, but those making the accusations. Unless the
> passport number is bogus, chances of mistaken identity are few and
> far between. We are not talking about image here; we are talking
> about the safety of many young girls who are potential sexual abuse
> victims.

#4 Parent concerned teacher - 2004-08-13

> Thanks for your detailed response.

> The fact that you stated that he has definitely left China then
> everyone is out of harms way for the time being.

> Let us hope that the Chinese police will pass on the information to
> ITERPOL or the like because it should be easy to track the movements
> of a passport ID number thats if it is the only passport he
> possesses. If he has travelled around Asia and near by countries and
> if he has a previous criminal record of committing such offences he
> will not doubt have a way of covering his tracks. That is why he is
> always on the move.

> One positive spin off from your posting is that in new school
> contracts special clauses specifically detailing the precautions all
> male foreign teachers regardless of age will be expected to comply
> with. This should be in writing and if he is found in private, (that
> is, not in the company and/or close location to other students or
> teachers), with a student he will be warned and if this warning is
> not heeded he will ordered to leave the school and be penalised
> accordingly.

> This may hit home the need for tighter controls of the movements of
> foreign teachers who display unbecoming behaviour towards students.

> What do you think?

I totally agree. In fact this teacher had been with us for over a year & asked to renew his contract. I strongly suggested to get rid of him then, after the secretary at our school told us he had lifted her shirt one day while they were alone at school. Unfortuanately, the desperate need for teachers & the owner wanting to give him another chance kept him here. The school did give him strict warnings though & did add that kind of clause in his contract. It was very detailed as to what he was not allowed to do. Also it was separated into 3 sections that were very clear descriptions of situations he was NOT to in.

It still didnt stop him though. Im not sure what gave him the courage to defy it & then try to brag to another female teacher at the school about what he was able to get away with. I really don't understand how some fellow Canadians, (female especially) could keep such details a secret. If only she hadn't felt the need to ignore it, perhaps...

Well water under the bridge for our school anyway, but he is still out there somewhere.

I hope all schools will include this in their contracts & I also sincerely hope normal reliable male teachers will understand this precaution & not be offended by it.

Thanks for your comments & for trying to understand.

#5 Parent Concerned Foreigner - 2004-08-13

> I tried to post the full name so there was no confusion as to who he
> is, but the last name was taken out. For anyone who is suspicious of
> a teacher you know, I have his passport info, but it probably wont
> show either. Js393653

> He has left China already. If he comes back into the country the
> police will handle it, but while he is outside of China, the only
> thing to do is to try to alert other teachers or schools. If you
> think it would help I can give a more detailed description.

> Im sorry, but since you are not in my position of having to comfort
> these young girls who will be scarred for life, you can't really
> understand my need to make others aware. All I can do now is to hope
> it will help.

> I am sorry that all middle aged men in china are under suspicion, but
> that is not from my one little posting. All over China & the
> world people are concerned about single middle aged men in Asian
> countries. I don't think its fair, really, I dont. I am the one who
> encouraged the school to try to trust him in the first place. i told
> them it wasn't fair to judge someone by what others do. Sadly, I was
> wrong and innocent girls have suffered. I know there are single
> middle aged men in China that are great teachers, but they must
> already realize what some people will be thinking of them.

> Don't worry about him going further underground...he's not that smart
> & he doesn't have enough money to get far.

> AND as for those local people who are concerned & even hate these
> kind of foreigners, i have to say i agree with them. Eventually they
> will realize there are different types of people all over the world.

> The decision is min, but its a risk, either way. I can't just do
> nothing. What to do?

> Still a concerned teacher

Thanks for your detailed response.

The fact that you stated that he has definitely left China then everyone is out of harms way for the time being.

Let us hope that the Chinese police will pass on the information to ITERPOL or the like because it should be easy to track the movements of a passport ID number thats if it is the only passport he possesses. If he has travelled around Asia and near by countries and if he has a previous criminal record of committing such offences he will not doubt have a way of covering his tracks. That is why he is always on the move.

One positive spin off from your posting is that in new school contracts special clauses specifically detailing the precautions all male foreign teachers regardless of age will be expected to comply with. This should be in writing and if he is found in private, (that is, not in the company and/or close location to other students or teachers), with a student he will be warned and if this warning is not heeded he will ordered to leave the school and be penalised accordingly.

This may hit home the need for tighter controls of the movements of foreign teachers who display unbecoming behaviour towards students.

What do you think?

#6 Parent newbie sensei - 2004-08-13

Concerned teacher, you are doing the right thing. If your school and the police can right away communicate with the Thai and Filipino embassies, so much the better. It is best to warn people before everything is too late. As to other males who "may" fit the description, what is wrong if you have nothing to hide? The burden of proof is not yours, but those making the accusations. Unless the passport number is bogus, chances of mistaken identity are few and far between. We are not talking about image here; we are talking about the safety of many young girls who are potential sexual abuse victims.

#7 Parent concerned teacher - 2004-08-13

I tried to post the full name so there was no confusion as to who he is, but the last name was taken out. For anyone who is suspicious of a teacher you know, I have his passport info, but it probably wont show either. Js393653

He has left China already. If he comes back into the country the police will handle it, but while he is outside of China, the only thing to do is to try to alert other teachers or schools. If you think it would help I can give a more detailed description.

Im sorry, but since you are not in my position of having to comfort these young girls who will be scarred for life, you can't really understand my need to make others aware. All I can do now is to hope it will help.

I am sorry that all middle aged men in china are under suspicion, but that is not from my one little posting. All over China & the world people are concerned about single middle aged men in Asian countries. I don't think its fair, really, I dont. I am the one who encouraged the school to try to trust him in the first place. i told them it wasn't fair to judge someone by what others do. Sadly, I was wrong and innocent girls have suffered. I know there are single middle aged men in China that are great teachers, but they must already realize what some people will be thinking of them.

Don't worry about him going further underground...he's not that smart & he doesn't have enough money to get far.

AND as for those local people who are concerned & even hate these kind of foreigners, i have to say i agree with them. Eventually they will realize there are different types of people all over the world.

The decision is min, but its a risk, either way. I can't just do nothing. What to do?

Still a concerned teacher

> No doubt your posting was made with good intentions but it should not
> have been permitted for you to give such a broad and ambiguous
> description of the accused. There is no doubt many foreign visitors
> and teachers from Canada in China who may fit the general
> description of DAVD (Whoever). They are now at risk of being
> associated with the crime and they may also become the victims of
> unfair suspicion.

> Please delete this posting immediately, or reword it, and let the
> police deal with the investigation. The negative result of your
> posting is that DAVID @@@@@@ may have dyed his hair blonde or black,
> and invented other disguises to counter your description. Your
> posting will drive this man underground and this will make it
> difficult for the police and others to locate him.

> You also run the risk of your crime report adding to the all ready
> anti-foreigner sentiment demonstrated on this forum.

> The decision is yours.
> Concerned Foreigner

#8 Parent Concerned Foreigner - 2004-08-13

> Teacher wanted for questioning by local police department in
> suspected rape of several underage female students.

> Left China Aug 1st, in the middle of the night, in fear of what would
> happen to him. Supposedly heading for Thailand or perhaps a return
> visit to the Phillipines.

> Name: David #######. Canadian, male, age 50 (often says he's early
> 40's) Short, slightly balding, beer belly, glasses, dyed blond/light
> brown hair. Has over 1 year experience in southern China. Funny,
> easygoing, but he clearly stated his main purpose in China, on the
> first day here. "Looking for a wife/slave". Talks alot
> about desire to go to Thailand & life in the Phillipines, where
> he was married (& shortly after arriving back in Canada...was
> divorced). I do have his passport photo but i can't get it to load. I
> will figure it out & post it later.

> Was generally good natured from what we could see for the first 8-10
> months here. A little perverted, but you can't guess what someone is
> capable of deep down. Upon becoming noticably sexually frustrated in
> his unsuccessful search for a 18-20 year old "girlfriend",
> got more violent over small matters & had more mood swings.

> Please beware. I regret that I was stupid enough to believe him &
> go against my gut feeling. I will not make the same mistake twice.
> Sadly I didn't realize it in time to protect those students.

No doubt your posting was made with good intentions but it should not have been permitted for you to give such a broad and ambiguous description of the accused. There is no doubt many foreign visitors and teachers from Canada in China who may fit the general description of DAVD (Whoever). They are now at risk of being associated with the crime and they may also become the victims of unfair suspicion.

Please delete this posting immediately, or reword it, and let the police deal with the investigation. The negative result of your posting is that DAVID @@@@@@ may have dyed his hair blonde or black, and invented other disguises to counter your description. Your posting will drive this man underground and this will make it difficult for the police and others to locate him.

You also run the risk of your crime report adding to the all ready anti-foreigner sentiment demonstrated on this forum.

The decision is yours.
Concerned Foreigner

concerned teacher - 2004-08-12
Suspected sexual predator masquarading as an Englishteacher

Teacher wanted for questioning by local police department in suspected rape of several underage female students.

Left China Aug 1st, in the middle of the night, in fear of what would happen to him. Supposedly heading for Thailand or perhaps a return visit to the Phillipines.

Name: David #######. Canadian, male, age 50 (often says he's early 40's) Short, slightly balding, beer belly, glasses, dyed blond/light brown hair. Has over 1 year experience in southern China. Funny, easygoing, but he clearly stated his main purpose in China, on the first day here. "Looking for a wife/slave". Talks alot about desire to go to Thailand & life in the Phillipines, where he was married (& shortly after arriving back in Canada...was divorced). I do have his passport photo but i can't get it to load. I will figure it out & post it later.

Was generally good natured from what we could see for the first 8-10 months here. A little perverted, but you can't guess what someone is capable of deep down. Upon becoming noticably sexually frustrated in his unsuccessful search for a 18-20 year old "girlfriend", got more violent over small matters & had more mood swings.

Please beware. I regret that I was stupid enough to believe him & go against my gut feeling. I will not make the same mistake twice. Sadly I didn't realize it in time to protect those students.

Return to Index › Suspected sexual predator masquarading as an Englishteacher

Go to another board -