TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Raffles Lasalle Shanghai
#1 Parent Lily - 2004-08-23
Re: Raffles Lasalle Shanghai

>Hey Andy, Just the information I was looking for. Perhaps you could fill me in on more. I have been offered a position with Raffles and now wonder if this is one I should accept. I too am a designer like many of the students and have taught design at the University level. I was told that I would be working 40 hour weeks but that was pretty much it. I was wondering about
the curriculum what do they have in place, I have been building a curriculum where I am teaching now and wonder if it would be any different! I would really like more on what I might really expect...
thanks. Perhaps you could email me.

No school is perfect. I'm sure there are worse jobs out there but
> don't be tempted by the "high" salaries offered by this
> outfit.
> Every private school is driven by economic factors and man oh man
> does Lasalle let finance and marketing rule all decisions.
> You will work long hours for little personal reward or recognition.
> You MUST work a nine hour day. They have a questionable evaluation
> system and even more questionable curriculum.
> The people in charge of you know nothing about ESL teaching and do
> not really care if students are learning or not as long as the wheels
> keep turning.
> The rules and systems and policies, such as they are, will change on
> a daily basis. Your contract is worthless.
> The students are so busy doing homework for their design subjects
> that they have no time to study English. No matter, their poor
> English will be your fault.
> If you are sick, you must teach the classes you missed upon your
> return.
> Oh yeah, each class is four hours long. Look before you leap man or
> the water may just be too deep.

Andy - 2004-08-09
Raffles Lasalle Shanghai

No school is perfect. I'm sure there are worse jobs out there but don't be tempted by the "high" salaries offered by this outfit.
Every private school is driven by economic factors and man oh man does Lasalle let finance and marketing rule all decisions.
You will work long hours for little personal reward or recognition. You MUST work a nine hour day. They have a questionable evaluation system and even more questionable curriculum.
The people in charge of you know nothing about ESL teaching and do not really care if students are learning or not as long as the wheels keep turning.
The rules and systems and policies, such as they are, will change on a daily basis. Your contract is worthless.
The students are so busy doing homework for their design subjects that they have no time to study English. No matter, their poor English will be your fault.
If you are sick, you must teach the classes you missed upon your return.
Oh yeah, each class is four hours long. Look before you leap man or the water may just be too deep.

Return to Index › Raffles Lasalle Shanghai

Go to another board -