TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Davis Language is illegal
#1 Parent Peter Edwards - 2005-01-09
Davis in Tianjin continues its unscrupulous behaviour

I recently contacted the Davis company in Tianjin asking if they could provide legal working status.
Someone replied and assured me that they were in position to offer "all the legal documents".
According to the posts here, I am certainly not going to take a chance with these people.
I am still amazed at how the Chinese treat teachers who are just looking to do their job and help children learn a foreign language.
Judging from the reputation of many "schools" they are certainly rotten hosts.
Peter Edwards

#2 Parent Jake Foley - 2004-11-29
Davis scam

Davis has been known for cutting wages short. A friend of mine worked for Davis and said you must get cash on the table per week and ensure they give you your stamp because they sometimes hold money from teachers and keep them a couple payments behind so when their visa expires they are forced to leave and don't get to collect the rest of their monies.

#3 Parent Robert - 2004-08-11
Re: Davis Language is illegal

Thanks for the response. You are lucky that you didn't accept. The teaching assignments are NOT in Tianjin, but in Dagang, a two hour bus ride east of the city. The schools are HOT in summer and FREEZING in winter. (not to mention the buses as well)

Davis language gets paid directly by the schools, about 180rmb per teaching hour, of which the teacher gets half. You made the right choice, they are indeed 'slave drivers' by the amount of hours they want you to work and the conditions you must work under, then have to accept their dishonesty as well.

Cheers!

>I never accepted a job with Davis but was offered one. I practically
> fell out of my seat when they stated in the contract that they wanted
> me to work 37 teaching hours per week. I wrote back to them saying
> that the hours they wanted of me were too many, and that I wasn't
> interested in the job. They wrote back a belligerant message to me
> telling me "yeah, like you'll find a better job somewhere
> else", to which I promptly found one.

> Keep an eye out for these guys, they're out recruiting heavily right
> about now. In any case, thanks to the original poster for pointing
> this out. I'd also like to invite him to post a review of the school
> over at my site, http://www.ChinaSchoolReview.com . It can't hurt to
> spread the message.

#4 Parent Nathan Mittelstaedt - 2004-08-10
Re: Davis Language is illegal

I never accepted a job with Davis but was offered one. I practically fell out of my seat when they stated in the contract that they wanted me to work 37 teaching hours per week. I wrote back to them saying that the hours they wanted of me were too many, and that I wasn't interested in the job. They wrote back a belligerant message to me telling me "yeah, like you'll find a better job somewhere else", to which I promptly found one.

Keep an eye out for these guys, they're out recruiting heavily right about now. In any case, thanks to the original poster for pointing this out. I'd also like to invite him to post a review of the school over at my site, http://www.ChinaSchoolReview.com. It can't hurt to spread the message.

Robert - 2004-08-09
Davis Language is illegal

My name is Robert and I worked for Davis Language Training in Tianjin, China in 2003. Be advised that this company is NOT legal.
They tell prospective teachers that they have a license to hire foreigners and a license to operate a school. In fact they have neither.
What the operator of this company DOES have is someone in the police dept. that can get a tourist visa, NOT a work visa.
Unless a teacher can read Chinese or has a Chinese friend, the unsuspecting teacher has no idea that they are working illegally.
Angela Davis has cheated many teachers over the last 3 years and has a very bad reputation in Tianjin. The problem comes when teachers try to get their money. They are then told by the police that they are working in China illegally and their contracts aren't valid. Davis language makes a lot of their profits in this fashion, however they cannot get any more local teachers to work for them because of their reputation. So now they have turned to the internet to lure teachers from other cities and countries. BEWARE!! SEVERAL TEACHERS HAVE BEEN STRANDED HERE BECAUSE OF HER CRIMINAL COMPANY! Check with Ministry of Education BEFORE working for any Tianjin English schools. Corruption is rampant here and many teachers have been stung. Cheers!

Return to Index › Davis Language is illegal

Go to another board -