TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: re the perfect contract
#1 Parent Elizabeth Kiderlen - 2004-08-09
Re: re the perfect contract

> A realistic contract is one that is formulated with a legal framework
> or justice system that has the power and potency to correct any
> wrongdoing to both parties. A realistic contact is open to both
> contracting parties to reach agreement on the terms and conditions.
> However it means shit if the legal court of law of the land is
> powerless to intervene to ensure justice.

Like many newcomers, I look to this message board for advise and inspiration and I am slowly realizing how fortunate I am with my arrangements.

In my opinion a contract is a piece of paper/document that sets down the mutually agreed upon conditions of employment. It should be individualized wherever possible and remain unsigned until all parties are satifisted.

Having said that, it is totally worthless if one of the parties decides to ignore it. So, in my opinion it is more important to know for yourself just who it is you are dealing with or have a solid and established relationship with someone who does.

For me, I went to the Office of International Marketing for the State in which I was living (I'm an American, but you can probably think of similar enteties in your country). I was put in touch with the Asian Affairs Office with a State University there who, several times per year, bring in Chinese Educators from various Universities, Colleges, High Schools etc. for professional developement programs. I was able to meet with these educators and have face to face interviews. This allowed me to look deep into the eyes of potential employers before ever stepping one toe outside my country. Plus, their relationship with the University gave me recourse in the event there was some sort of issue. However, because of the screening process the Chinese educators went through to be in the development program in the first place, I was assured of meeting with quality personnel to begin with.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I am very happy with my situation and the other teachers here feel the same. Good Luck and do your homework.

Return to Index › Re: re the perfect contract

Go to another board -