TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Celta, Tesol or Efl or what?
#1 Parent da yan jing - 2004-08-09
Re: Celta, Tesol or Efl or what?

I am a Foreign Manager here in China. I really don't feel that any of these courses have seperated the good teachers from the bad. I have some teachers that took the courses you mentioned, and have had to let them go. Some of them had just no clue at all. Others have taken the courses and do really well. However, those who tend to do exceptionally well, have some sort of experience. A teacher whose major work experience was a coffee house back home, but has a TESOL certificate, is far less desireable than the teacher with no certificate, but experience either teaching, or just working in a leadership role.
I always look for experience first, volunteer experience second, Name third and maybe the TESOL or Celta or whatever will catch my eye before I call them.
I strongly feel that these courses are far too expensive, and are a money making scheme rather than a furthering education venture. They say that jobs are guaranteed- just apply to China and you'll have a job, guaranteed. Even if you're a self proclaimed axe murdering child molestor. ( though not at my school! )

I would suggest not getting too wrapped up in it. Yes, some of the things that they teach you in the course are valuable, and helpful. However, a little internet research on teaching approaches, materials and lesson planning is cheaper and easier.

However, it's all up to the individual.
Good luck,
Candace.

#2 Parent Mike B - 2004-07-16

> If you like teaching then by all
> means go on to a CELTA but otherwise why spend all that money if you
> discover it's not for you?

Henry is right there, but if you are sure you want to teach (aren't we all?) then the CELTA is the best choice.

To just test the water see if you can volunteer at a local government program, they will probably give you some basic training and send you out to tutor migrants a couple of times a week. I did this in Australia, it was called Migrant Education Program or something similar. I did it to make sure I really DID want to be an English teacher.

Good luck.

#3 Parent Henry - 2004-07-16

Remember that taking a CELTA isn't always the most economical option if you've never taught before. The big advantage of online is that you can test the waters so to speak. If you like teaching then by all means go on to a CELTA but otherwise why spend all that money if you discover it's not for you?

Henry
Free-ESL.com

#4 Parent Heidi Csokas - 2004-07-15

> In some places it doesn't matter what you have, so if you do a
> certificate it is to give you an idea of how to teach. However for
> employers who insist or would prefer you have a certificate, an
> online certificate from some unknown school, or in many cases any
> online certificate would not be worth the paper it's printed on.

> The CELTA is expensive and very hard work, but it will open many
> doors to you in many countries. It will give you a very good idea of
> how to teach English. It will also teach you many things you may
> never need or use, but at least you'll know them.

> If you can possibly afford the time and money the CELTA would be my
> choice.
Mike B,
Thank you so much for your time!
I definitely want to learn all that.
Best,
Heidi

#5 Parent Mike B - 2004-07-14

In some places it doesn't matter what you have, so if you do a certificate it is to give you an idea of how to teach. However for employers who insist or would prefer you have a certificate, an online certificate from some unknown school, or in many cases any online certificate would not be worth the paper it's printed on.

The CELTA is expensive and very hard work, but it will open many doors to you in many countries. It will give you a very good idea of how to teach English. It will also teach you many things you may never need or use, but at least you'll know them.

If you can possibly afford the time and money the CELTA would be my choice.

> Hi,
> I was really wondering what difference it makes when looking for a
> job( if it does at all)what kind of certificate you have.For
> instance, can it occur as an disadvantage if you, let's see have an
> on-line Tesol certificate but not an intensive ( and very intensively
> priced) Celta.
> I should decide quickly which one to go for and I'd like to have an
> idea about whether it's worth going for the pricy Celta or it's ok to
> settle for a quick fix?
> Thanks for your insight!
> Heidi

Heidi Csokas - 2004-07-14
Celta, Tesol or Efl or what?

Hi,
I was really wondering what difference it makes when looking for a job( if it does at all)what kind of certificate you have.For instance, can it occur as an disadvantage if you, let's see have an on-line Tesol certificate but not an intensive ( and very intensively priced) Celta.
I should decide quickly which one to go for and I'd like to have an idea about whether it's worth going for the pricy Celta or it's ok to settle for a quick fix?
Thanks for your insight!
Heidi

Return to Index › Celta, Tesol or Efl or what?

Go to another board -