TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Vaughan system (Spain)
#1 Parent juanisaac - 2011-12-19
Re: Stay away from Spain

You cannot say that all of Latin America is like this. If you choose Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Central America, and Mexico than yes it can get interesting.
However, if you choose more developed countries like Chile, Uruguay, Panama, and Argentina life can be quite pleasant. Many Europeans and Americans are moving to places like Uruguay because the government leaves you alone. They don't strip search you like in the USA or tax you to kingdom come like in Europe or Canada.
These countries are big and have a few million people. By the way, the countries of the south like the ones I mentioned welcome European and American people. In Uruguay, for example, you only need to show income of $500 U.S. dollars a months and you immigrate.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2011-12-15

I would agree...there isn't that much racism. But then I find far more superiority complex or self congratulatory back slapping amongst east asian people anyway.

Considering Spain is dealing with north african immigration, and has already had a terror attack in Madrid, I would say Spanish people are very liberal and tolerant.

I wonder if the same could be said for the US post 9/11?

#3 Parent San Migs - 2011-12-15

If you like Spanish, as I do, teach in Latin America

So then you can get kidnapped, murdered, raped, robbed, have drugs planted on you, develop a coke addiction, get bitten by a venomous spider, and perhaps other bad stuff.

You are seriously comparing Spain with Latin America in terms of learning spanish?

If it means that much to you, befriend a native speaker at home and buy a language learning set? why risk your life?

#4 Parent Tom - 2011-12-15

Wow, Spain is as racist as any other country. In fact the US is far more racist. I knew a Muslim girl studying in Caceres 4 months after 9/11 and she was telling me all the stories of how she was treated in the US because of her headdress, and in Spain her only complaint was someone said "habla cristiano" which means, speak clearly, but obviously to a muslim who doesn't know....

I was in Spain for three years, and have lived in four regions and not found much racism, other than a bit of a superiority complex, well most countries have this too.

#5 Parent HappyinSpain - 2011-12-12

Hi,

I've been working as a teacher at Vaughan for 3 years now and I've always been treated really well.

The teachers here are from all over the globe (so not really racist then?) and I've made some great friends. I actually only intended to come to Vaughan for a gap year, but ended up staying longer. I don't work on the university programme anymore, but on a contract teaching adults at the main premises in Madrid.

There is a 2 week training which is hell and people always get kicked out during the course which probably explains mixed opinions on some sites. You're up until 3-4am doing homework and work isn't offered until you've made it! If you do make it through the two weeks though, they do treat you well, help you with everything and I have always felt valued and supported.

#6 Parent esl in asia - 2004-11-19
Stay away from Spain

Be careful of Spain. I visited it and found it to be very hostile to foreigners. Now I can even say racist. Have a look at this BBC article. I dont think it just applies to a few bad apples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4024167.stm

If you like Spanish, as I do, teach in Latin America. Generally, they are more friendly and easier to get along with than the Spanish. Anyway, teaching English to Spanish students is fun because English and Spanish have many similarities and the language is very beautiful.

#7 Parent Rebecca Roch - 2004-11-17
Vaughan System/Spain

Hi

I worked for Vaughan Systems in Madrid for a year from 1999 to the end of summer 2000.
That was when the peseta was still alive and kicking and pay per hour for teaching english was very good, then around 3000ptas per hour guaranteed, even if the student cancelled.
I received about 2 weeks training at the offices in Madrid which were then based, if I remember correctly, in C/Nuria de Virgin.
We were assigned clients who had contracts with Vaughan Systems and we were given literature and access to learning materials for our classes.
Clients included Ericsson, Pfizer, Caixa and other similar companies. I had to travel around the city from office to office of each client teaching from as many as 1 student to a class of 7 or 8 and from 1 to 2 hour sessions. It was hard work but very rewarding and I made some great friends. There were also opportunities to teach weekend intensive courses which were mostly taught in a hotel in the mountains somewhere. I never did this for Vaughan Systems but for another company. It's very hard work as you are expected to be with the students continuously from breakfast until the evening, but again the pay was worth it.
I left the company after about 10 months (August there is no work) to travel and freelance and then return to the Uk. It was a fun experience and one I would highly recommend. There are lots of similar companies out there like Vaughan systems - but probably more professional in their employee care, especially in terms of taking care of taxation and other legal matters. They did not help us to find places to live which for non Spanish speakers I imagined was quite hard. They were keen to employ native speakers although there was not much way of support for those who needed it.
Hope this is of some help.

Rebecca

Chanmar - 2004-08-04
Vaughan system (Spain)

What a good discussion forum, it contains very useful information.

I am wanting to know if anyone has any knowledge of the Vaughan system/schools that operate in various locations in Spain? (either good or bad) I have tried to find comments on various discussion boards to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation.

Return to Index › Vaughan system (Spain)

Go to another board -