TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Information on China
#1 Parent Chunping Alex Wu - 2004-07-25
Re: Information on China

I was born in China, but had seen very little about it. That's why I wanted to pay her a visit after my retirement.
In the last 5 years, I taught in different schools in a different province for a year, and since had travelled many places. From the south to the north. From the east to the west. And deep in the interior. What I found, for your information:
1. The Chinese people are very friendly and helpful to foreigners. They may not be like that to their own, but friendlier to foreigners close to flattering.
2. Most of the people in the countryside are poor. The poverty is beyond our thinking by North-American or European standards. With only 3% cultivatable land to feed such an immense population, it's a miracle itself. Yet, most of the global investers are still trying to milk from this land. They pay the people a survival rate, and take the huge profit away.
3. Due to the ideological differences in the past, westerners, especially the American politicians and militants, still treat the Chinese region as pagan and evil state, and wanted to conquer. All kinds of names have been used. All kinds of ways have been used to deprive this sleeping giant of its land. So Mongolia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao and Tibet were aimed to be taken away from its domain.
4. Westerners want to keep the land as it was for their enjoyment. So they claim Tibet supposed to be kept away from Chinese control. Most of the foreigners who said this hadn't seen Tibet. Those visited didn't see the truth. Can we anyone believe that Tibetans will have a better life without the helps from the other parts of the country? I witnessed the facts. By saying this, I'm on the inhabitants' side.
5. The government has too much to do. The bureaucrates corrupt under the enticing of the investors. Its people want to improve their future through learning, lots of great educators like you come to teach them western languages to broaden their scope of vision, but their are also some who are wasting their time by fooling around under the name of foreign teachers and keep a lofty gesture here, too.
6. Most of the administrators are ignorant. They know nothing about education. They want to have foreigners to teach in their schools to glorify their deeds. The good recruiters might know who is better, but they have no power to make the decisions. So they get lots of the cheap, inexperienced, better looking ones.
7. The standard of living in China is very low. You may save some, but might not be much. But, if you are dedicated, you could contribute a lot to these poor but ambitious people. They might not know you,now, but they'll remember you always.

Alex Wu

#2 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-14

I hope you are right - at any rate, the joke was in poor taste, I think.

#3 Parent sandrab - 2004-06-14

No.

I'd assume it was a joke.

#4 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-14

Well that's close enough to what I thought - we don't use that phrase in America so it threw me off until I kept thinking of all the words ending in bating that it could mean.

Debating?
Rebating?

Then, as they say in American football, I went long - and didn't get it wrong.

Wouldn't you say that using that phrase would eb an ad hominem attack - unless you were clearly joking and on rather better terms than Isobel and I are?

Just curious

#5 Parent sandrab - 2004-06-14

Well the cockney rhyming slang would be 'merchant banker'

#6 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-14

The only play on words I could come up with would require a ' before the bating. If that's what she meant, then as the kids say ewwwwww gross.

#7 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-14

please enlighten me then because i missed the play on words.

#8 Parent sandrab - 2004-06-13

It was a pun. A play on words.

So it was definitely bating, not baiting.

#9 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-13

You are definitely right about that. The key, I think, is being willing to bend but not break.

A true story: the first time I came to China three years ago I was single and I went on a date with a Chinese woman the night before I left to return to the USA. We had corresponded online, but only on this last day would we actually be int he same city at the same time.

She took me to a duck restaurant and I got my first Beijing Duck in Beijing itself. She was and is a delightful lady. After the meal, she asked me how I liked it. I looked at her and said the food was great and the company was even better.

If those damn foreigners hadn't been so loud! Is what I said next. A group at the next table of Americans (I am American, too) were obnoxiously loud. I never realized until several hours later what I had said and the irony of it.

In four months I had started to think like the best of the Chinese. Two years ago I met my wife and now I know exactly how the best of the Chinese thinks every day.

I am blessed.

#10 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-13

A joke imbedded in a series of attacks. My dictionary says baiting, but it's an American dictionary and perhaps this is a British spelling.

#11 Parent sandrab - 2004-06-13

I actually think there were some points raised (views of Westerners, experience equals good teacher etc) although it did get rather childish towards the end, I agree.

By the way Michael / Boots, I think Isobel WAS correct with her spelling of bating. A joke was being made. I don't have to spell it out any further I hope.

#12 Parent maximus - 2004-06-13

Do you people realize that very little or zero information has been shared by you about information of China. Grow up!

#13 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-12

Isobel never once answered any of the points I made but simply attacked me. Despite this, I continued to help her with the questions she asked in the original post. She can,of course, write anything she wants about me. A person is free to make ad hominem atacks if they wish. I certainly have been the victim of some at this site. Though I never made any myself.

Isobel's accusations of me are rather sad. But I don't know her and I am not about to attack her ad hominem. I pray to God that she realizes that I was only trying to answer her original question and that she gets over what seems to be a need for ad hominem attacks.

Notice please that every reference she makes to me is a perjorative term while eevry reference I make to her respectfully calls her by her chosen screen name.

Notice that I did all I could to answer her original question despite her constant ad hominem attacks.

Then tell me, in what way did I treat her unfairly? In what am I to be faulted with here?

I do pray for you, Isobel.

#14 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-12

Well, once again you have resorted to the ad hominem attack. Isobel, there is no need to do that. You originally asked a question, which I answered. You have since gone on to admit that you were having sport, baiting(correcting your spelling) me, and have called me at least one name in every post you have made since I responded to you in what I intended as an answer to your question.

I am fully aware of your opinion. I don't need to say I get it for you to undertsand that, do I? If id o for you to understand that, ok here are the words - I get it!

But your original post asked a question that I answered. The answer was not entirely flattering to those with experience who brag about it, but it was intended to answer your post.

Since then you have responded with personal attacks - and have called me names although I have never once called you anyting negative.

If I had, then perhaps your responses would have been similar to mine. But, notice, I ahve always refrained from attacking you personally and from name-calling.

Courtesy would require you to do the same. You have not done the same. I will leave it to the readers of these posts to interpret these facts.

#15 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-11

Dear fellow readers,

Well, I've had my sport now and am going to sign off. It's all gone a bit childish and as Boo Hoo will never get my point, I'm beginning to tire.

I'm off to find a good ESL class, as Michael suggested.......as we all know by now that he always has to be right. I can add it to my ever growing list of qualifications.

Boo Hoo- I'm even going to let you have the last word. I know how much this will satisfy your very small mind.

tata!

P.S Thanks to 'an observer', whoever you are.

#16 Parent boots43 - 2004-06-11

Bating? don't defensive and angry now?

Yes, I couldn't resist reading your latest attack. I think you should remember that when a person is attacked, there is nothing humorous about it.

My masters degrees are in education and English. Judging by your inability in the previous post to put together a complete sentence and your inability to spell (not a pesonal attack- simply based on the evidence everyone can see), you need both.

Look, dear readers, at the difference between Isobel's posts and mine- and you will never find a better argument for the value of education and experience - which I have and she not only doesn't, but actually revels in the lack thereof.

Perhaps, you can find a good ESL class to take, Isobel.

#17 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-11

Again, you have missed my point. Something you seem to do regularly.

You insult everyone with the way in which you belittle those who challenge your opinion. I should re-name you Michael Boo Hoo.

My response was humorous, but your famed sense of humour seems to have deserted you temporarily.

My point was that you cannot assume that experience = good teacher. Of course it's not a negative thing. Nor is education (and I have experience and am educated, thanks, but don't feel the need to press the point. My ego doesn't need massaging and I am confident enough in my own abilities, so refrain from 'bragging').

Rather than address my issue, you took it as a personal affront and got very angry. As I said, your defensive response takes me aback.

And as for proverbs....well the proof they say is in the pudding. It's action not words (or pieces of paper with MAs on it) that counts. Can you actually hack it and get the results you've been employed to do? If not then all the years and degrees mean very little. Especially to students. (By the way, this isn't a perosnal attack, just reiterating my point).

NOW do you get it??!

#18 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-11

Isobel, I have one moe thing to say to you. I am a baseball fan and, as such, I like the old saying three strikes and you are out. I have given you three chances to respond substantially - and each time you have attacked me using an ad hominem attack. Such attacks can produce anger and frustration in someone like myself who values a discussion based on merits of argument and not on name-calling.

I don't believe anyone is incapable of arguing merits. Since you do not do so, I will assume you are unwilling to do so. Such a 'discussion" where one person (me, in case you were wondering) argues merit and the other attacks ad hominem is not worth my time.

Three strikes you're out - I won't be reading or responding to any more of your posts because you are not arguing merits, but simply name-calling.

#19 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-11

Isobel, I never say anything insulting to you - I respond to the gist of what you are saying. Instead of doing this, you say insulting things to me in return. I find that to be provoking and yes it does create a sense of anger, which you do not seem to understand.

It is easy to make snide remarks and rude coments. Why don't you try making comments that address what I say for a change?

Experience - you feel it is somehow a negative thing.

Education - you also feel is somehow a negative thing

What do you consider to be positive? Inexperience and ignorance?

I will stick with the experienced teacher over the inexperienced one, the educated one over the ignorant one every day. The proverb to the contrary, ignorance is NOT bliss.

Although it does enable one to continue ad hominem attacks rather than address the point of the matter

Are you actually bragging about your lack of education and your inexperience?

#20 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-11

I hesitate to say this, but what are your Masters degrees in?

One of them MUST be in 'bating'.

You're a perfect example of one.

Don't angry and defensive now....remember that sense of humour!!

#21 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-11

exactly my point....which you seem to keep missing

learning and reflecting is the key and training and experience helps this process

but experience can also mean repeating mistakes and continuing with poor teaching and behaviour for many many years

do try and keep up.....and keep that sense of humour. it's well hidden at times.

you sound so angry and defensive and I have no idea why.

#22 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-10

People do brag about their accomplishments or their perceived accomplishments. Teaching 27 years and getting two masters degrees is an accomplishment - do it and then tell me how you feel about the experience.

I am certainly a better teacher than I was before I had this experience and these degrees. Two ways to learn - by doing (experience) and study (the degrees).

Do you know any other ways?

#23 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-10

Feel intimidated? Nope that's not it....but bragging?

You mean ostentatious pretense or self glorification.....arrogant or boastful speech / manner?

You've hit the nail on the head- thanks.

#24 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-10

I suppose teachers mention their qualifications the way some people brag about their drinking, their sports skills, their "alleged" sexual prowess,and their material possessions - we all have areas we like to feel proud about.

Perhaps, a person who doesn't have the experience and degrees is made to feel less by this bragging- I certainly hope not.

#25 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-09

I'm not belittling experience and yes of course, inform your employer....but why would anyone else need to know? What do you need to prove? Just get on with the job you've been employed to do.

These things don't automatically make you a good teacher. From what I've seen, the good experienced teachers just get on with it and do their job well. The bad ones tell you at all opportunities and then when things don't work out, blame the school....the students ....the water....anything, but rarely do they look at their own shortcomings.

I'm glad you have a sense of humour. No doubt you appreciate my exaggerations and cycling proficiency test joke.

#26 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-09

I find that most of the people who belittle experience are those that don't have any and that belittle advanced degrees are those that don't have any. Agreed that these things are far from essential to a good teacher, but they are helpful and a person who has them would be a fool not to tell people(especially employers) about them.

What I have is a rapport with students, a wonderful wife, 27 years (not 750) of teaching experience and two masters degrees (and I am NOT working on a third or on a PHD), and a sense of humor.

All of these come in handy.

#27 Parent Isobel - 2004-06-08

Good one!

Much has ben said on the "my 2 cents" thread.

People come to teach abroad for many different reasons and while Mary Choi's posting caused much gnashing of teeth (amusing really), she did have a point. There are those who would find it difficult to find work at home. I've met some of them.

Ironically, it is often people who wear their PhD, Masters degrees ...cycling proficiency test ....etc etc on their sleeves and talk about it at every opportunity who are the ones who just can't hack it. Usually citing the students or the school as the problem.

It's like 'experience' is a smoke screen that hides their own lack of confidence in their abilities, which is a shame. So.....beware someone who proclaims stuff like this....you know....750 years of teaching experience and by the way, did I tell you I have a 3 Masters and a PhD?

What matters is that you can teach, are willing to be flexible to meet your students needs (I think the term is reflective practitioner)and behave in a manner that is appropriate. We are guests after all.

#28 Parent DoS - 2004-06-05

I have to agree with you SB, whilst trying my best to avoid tarring all with the same brush, I have had 6 'problem'teachers here, and 5 have been Americans. As a result I am very careful when it comes to employing our cousins from the other side of the pond.

It seems to me that the main problem is the attitude. Whilst most 'westerners'come to China with an open mind, ready to experience other cultures, most Americans seem to come here expecting it to be the US. When it isn't, then it is *wrong*. They should be doing things the US way.

I am sorry if I sound very anti-US here. I don't mean to badmouth, I have been to the US many times myself and know many great Yanks. :-)

I know I am not alone in this, I attended a teachers conference in Shanghai recently and met quite a few similar stories. (I also met a great American guy who had been here for years).

Please Americans, when travelling abroad, don't expect America!

#29 Parent SB - 2004-06-04

All I'm trying to say in reply to the first message (from CYL) is, please don't assume that just because you're a Westerner that they'll automatically love you. We are guests here.

The very fact that you've posed the question shows that you have some sense of this, which is a great start. My comments were based on my own experiences with Americans too. Sadly, they didn't have the same mindset and quickly left.

#30 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-04

How people feel about Bush and Blair and how they feel about the British and Americans who actually come to their country is very different in China. My comments were only based on my own experience here- which has been the best I have had of the three foreign countries in which I have taught.

#31 Parent SB - 2004-06-03

Chinese like Americans!! I assume you mean with a little soy sauce?! (joke)

Let's face it, the US and UK are pretty much in the dog house after events in Iraq and rightly so.

I've had a fantastic time in China and yes, people are friendly and incredibly welcoming. Just don't ask them about Bush and Blair and what the commonly held views are about people from these countries. You might not like the answers you get.

Unfortunately, we've had a number of teachers from the US that haven't done well here. So much so, that students have very negative feelings towards Americans in general and why shouldn't they? Their experiences have been of arrogant, rude and unprofessional people who time and time again, forget they they are guests in China. If they want restrooms like Mom's, then go back home, okay.

Of course all of us try and point out that not everyone from one country is the same, but stereotypes stick. So my advice would be to remember you're a guest here and show some humility and you'll do fine. Have a great time. I have.

#32 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-03

China is a wonderful place in many ways and Shenzhen is one of the more modern cities. Chinese like Americans a lot - chinese are pretty much friendly with everyone they meet. that's been my experience,anyways.

My wife is Chinese. I met her here in 2002. We got married last year.

CYL - 2004-06-03
Information on China

I have received an offer in Shenzhen, China and am seeking information about teaching there. How is the city? On your ESL teacher's pay, have you been able to save any money? How challenging was getting to know Chinese people? What are their perceptions of Americans? Anything you would like to share would be most helpful. Thanks!

Return to Index › Information on China

Go to another board -