TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Beware of Wonderland English School in Pohang, South Korea
#1 Parent Amanda - 2018-05-24
Re Beware of Wonderland English School in Pohang, South Korea

I taught at this school from 2007-8 and had this exact experience (minus standing up for a lunch break which I was way too scared to do) and I thought that by 2009 the school had been sold but I guess it was probably just sold to more people like the guy who owned it when I was there. I know you wrote this 8 years ago but I hope you made it out and have a much better job now. Just wanted to comment to raise a fist in solidarity. FUCK WONDERLAND.

#2 Parent Twice Shy - 2015-10-07

Thank you Mary I feel your pain. Been there, done that with Korean "English Academies". More people need to step up to warn others like you are. Peace.

#3 Parent Mary Nessinger - 2015-10-06

Also beware of a school in the Gangnam area "Gangnam English Academy"that a supposed Harvard graduate started with his Swedish Model girlfriend (A[edited] K[edited] and J[edited] F[edited]) who do "reality shows" , They promise you they are different because they are "Americans" . For the following reasons beware

1.They have you sign a contract they have no intention of following through with.

2. They will tell you you will not have to work the long hours that the Korean schools do, but in fact you will work more. (What they count as "work" will not be the same definition as yours, they will expect you to come in on your days off to "sell" the program You will start and feel like "There must be a misunderstanding here? and they will have you work hours that you did not agree to; Then they start the "Gas Light Treatment" you when you say, "thats not what we agreed" they will say, what are you talking about? of course it is...or it's just for awhile. Slowly they will wear down your boundaries till even you cant remember what the truth of the agreement was.

3. "Good Cop Bad Cop- if you try to resolve any issues they will point the finger at the other one and say'"ask A[edited] or See what J[edited] thinks" This particular tactic will go on for weeks till your so worn out you give up.

4 .The they wont pay you until you uncomfortably ask for your check . Then its not like a normal Korean Check; they won't take out all the government things they are supposed to like taxes etc... nothing. You will go through this often be prepared to fight for your money.

5.They will not give you a housing stipend like other Korean Schools so be prepared to pay the 5000 dollars or more of "key money" to rent a place yourself. They of course will tell during the interview that they will help with that, but the money will never appear.

6. If thats not bad enough, you will never get the supplies you need, books, lesson plans, no direction what so ever. They make up lesson plans to show the parents which NEVER happen. Its a total scam- HEard the director call it more like "summer camp" than an actual school. RUUUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!

Caesar B. - 2010-06-03
Beware of Wonderland English School in Pohang, South Korea

I want to give a warning to any teacher in Korea, or anyone who is looking for a job in Korea - DO NOT, under any circumstances, accept a job teaching for WONDERLAND school in POHANG.

While a lot of teachers may have minor complaints about working at their schools, nothing compares to the harsh work conditions, long hours, complete verbal and mental abuse, and withholding of wages that is dished out by the administration at Wonderland.

The teachers work between 9-11 hours per day, but are only paid for what the administration considers "teaching hours" of about 5-6 hours, even though you are teaching 8-9 periods per day. To top it off, the teachers were originally given NO lunch break. Their lunch time was spent acting as lunch ladies, serving food to the students, cleaning up after them, and then babysitting them after they finished their meals.

When the teachers stood up for themselves and requested a lunch break, the administration first told them to stop complaining. After repeated complaints, they were given a lunch break.....but in return now have to work an extra half an hour at the end of the day to make up for it.

At most, the teachers have one break in a 9 hour day to prepare for 8-9 classes. This is barely enough time to plan 1 class, let alone 9. On top of lesson planning, there are various other duties that need to be done on a monthly basis that the teachers are not paid for or given adequate time in the work day to do - including planning activity days, phone teaching, updating student profiles, and various other tasks.

The verbal and mental abuse is given on a daily basis by the director and president who constantly tell the foreign teachers they are not preforming up to the standards of a "good teacher" and need to prepare their classes more. When the teachers explain there is not enough preparation time given in the day for them to prepare, they are told to not complain. The director is constantly trying to assert his dominance (especially over the female teachers) by being verbally abusive.

The director and president are business men and run the place like a business. It is very evident that the main concern is to get more students to the school - not providing a good education to the students. While I know this is the case for many hagwons, it is very detrimental to the teachers, who are not given the proper teaching tools, books, preparation time, or compensation for what they do, and are yet blamed and threatened when a student leaves or no new students sign on to the school.

To top it all off, the pay is low and there is an unexplained large chunk of money taken out of each month's paycheck that is listed on your pay slip as "The Other". This amount ranges from 100,000 to 800,000 Won per month, with no explanation.

Various past teachers have not gotten their deposit back at the end of their contracts, or have had huge amounts taken out for made up "fees" and "bills" that were never discussed until it was time for the school to pay them their deposit.

I speak on behalf of the NUMEROUS teachers that have taught at Wonderland in Pohang in the past and present. I have not heard ONE good thing about this school from foreign or Korean teachers, and every teacher living in Pohang that you talk to knows the reputation of the school and knows NOT to teach there.

I want the message to extend outside the city limits, in hopes that no other English teacher signs their life away to this horrible business that calls itself a school.

If you are looking for a new school to teach at and come across an opening at Wonderland, look elsewhere!

If you've already signed a contract with Wonderland and are making your travel plans to come to Korea - cancel your plans immediately and look elsewhere!

If anyone else has any experience with Wonderland in Pohang or any other branch (I know there are other bad ones in the country,) please post your experiences to help incoming teachers avoid making their lives a living hell.....and to give this Wonderland branch a harder time finding new teachers that will accept their vague, loopholed contracts.

Return to Index › Beware of Wonderland English School in Pohang, South Korea

Go to another board -