TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A Heavy Workload (= A Mug's Game)
#1 Parent Another Willie - 2018-03-29
Re A Heavy Workload (= A Mug's Game)

For your records: You are NOT qualified to teach anything, even not English. Your tirades on non-native speakers of English with a degree and your insistance on native speakers being qualified to teach ESL only serve to make you look better than you actually are in this respect. You should stay in your corpse house in the UK, and Chinese student will be saved from another highly dishonest, incompetent fake and pretend "teacher", deecher!

I have always said that although China may be a pretty shitty place to live, I'd go back tomorrow to teach there.
#2 Parent UNCARING - 2018-03-29

Yes, tidily compared, but there's another consideration to fling into the equation and that's if the FT's employer has contracts all over the shop, in which case the poor FT can spend many hours a day traveling between schools...and even taking in a teaching session on the 6th floor of somebody's flat where noisy-out-of-control-kids could be waiting. All of your schools and homes to visit during the day could be far-flung and difficult to find. Have you ever worked for an employer in China like that?

Yep, only once. I was working for a public college whose FAO department annoyed me by dilly dallying over the signing of the contract. One of the clauses said I'd be fired if I took a second job without first asking for and being granted permission to work for a second employer. As the contract hadn't been signed by the college, I took a second job out of spite @ a local language mill without telling the college FAO. Upon eventually receiving the countersigned contract, I resigned from my 2nd job at once, and apologized to the college FAO for having taught on the side, telling him I didn't want to be in breach of the contract. The FAO did in fact call the mill subsequently to determine whether or not I was still working there. The college gig lasted for 2 semesters, mission accomplished.

The second job was a bad one; it had many of the drawbacks you mention. The mill had lured too many FTs there. They were all tried out in rotation. In late September those deemed good teachers were given the correct documentation to complete a successful HK visa run during the Chinese National Week vacation. Meanwhile, the so-called ropey teachers were given the leader's best wishes, the heave and three days to vacate the mill's accommodation.

Be glad when Silverboy returns as he seems to offer the sort of topics that, curious, PRC and co want to answer.

Exactly. I am especially looking forward to his bar girl photos and his political incorrectness!

#3 Parent UNCARING - 2018-03-29

I listened to a bloody silly advert from the ratbags who administer the National Lottery on Talksport Radio.

It said the cost of a lottery ticket, a quid, was equivalent to the cost of a mouthful of lager, and was a great 'investment' because you could win loads of money. Basically, the govt is promoting gambling. Fuck the UK govt!

Well, another ad, for teachers, said new teachers would start on 22 grand to 27 grand a year. I'm guessing the higher of the two figures is for London, the 'weighting allowance'. Of course, the job in London will be much more demanding, due to having to teach immigrants' children.

Joey Barton is using words like 'numpty' and 'tube' to describe those in charge of professional football. Great stuff! I just love political uncorrectness.

I see that darts and Grand Prix 'girls' won't be paid for in the future by the sponsors. This has angered many paying spectators, and 'girls' employed for their looks as walk-on 'girls' etc.

However, the iconic Barry Hearn, the fight promoter, will continue to employ 'ring' girls, thus bucking the trend. Well done, Barry!

Next thing, cheerleaders will be targeted, I reckon!

#4 Parent UNCARING - 2018-03-29

Sorry, folks.

'Politically uncorrect' is incorrect English!

Make it 'politically incorrect'.

The way to go!

#5 Parent Alias Taffy - 2018-03-29

The main similarities and differences:

a - High school subject teacher, Blighty, 6 lesson plans/week. Mark homework, parents' nights, go home after class.
b - China equivalent, 2 LPs/week. Mark homework, attend parents' nights, stay at school after class.
c - FT of English, oral teacher, high school in China, 1/2 LPs/week. No homework, no parents' nights, go home after class.

a, b, c = 24, 20, 16 classes/week respectively.

a & b give and mark exams and class tests. c has no duties regarding tests, exams and assessments. They don't take place for oral English.

Yes, tidily compared, but there's another consideration to fling into the equation and that's if the FT's employer has contracts all over the shop, in which case the poor FT can spend many hours a day traveling between schools...and even taking in a teaching session on the 6th floor of somebody's flat where noisy-out-of-control-kids could be waiting. All of your schools and homes to visit during the day could be far-flung and difficult to find. Have you ever worked for an employer in China like that?

Be glad when Silverboy returns as he seems to offer the sort of topics that, curious, PRC and co want to answer.

#6 Parent UNCARING - 2018-03-29

The main similarities and differences:

a - High school subject teacher, Blighty, 6 lesson plans/week. Mark homework, parents' nights, go home after class.
b - China equivalent, 2 LPs/week. Mark homework, attend parents' nights, stay at school after class.
c - FT of English, oral teacher, high school in China, 1/2 LPs/week. No homework, no parents' nights, go home after class.

a, b, c = 24, 20, 16 classes/week respectively.

a & b give and mark exams and class tests. c has no duties regarding tests, exams and assessments. They don't take place for oral English.

#7 Parent Alias Taffy - 2018-03-29

Lesson planning, marking, carrying out assessments, parents evenings - there was always something to do."

Another quote: "The trouble is our teachers work longer hours for less money compared to their peers around the world."

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-42873153

Take it from me, teaching EFL in the PRC can be miles better! :)

I have always said that although China may be a pretty shitty place to live, I'd go back tomorrow to teach there. We do have to bear in mind that Foxy-poster was a regular teacher in the UK, and I imagine that regular teachers (the chinese ones) in China need to do all the things he lists above. {I should say that Natural-English-Speaking FT's are proper teachers, although some have better qualifications than others.}

UNCARING - 2018-03-29
A Heavy Workload (= A Mug's Game)

"Lesson planning, marking, carrying out assessments, parents evenings - there was always something to do."

Another quote: "The trouble is our teachers work longer hours for less money compared to their peers around the world."

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-42873153

Take it from me, teaching EFL in the PRC can be miles better! :)

Return to Index › A Heavy Workload (= A Mug's Game)

Go to another board -