TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Age discrimination in Thailand
#1 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29
Re Age discrimination in Thailand

I think you are right to some extent. I've lived in Thailand before and my ex-wife is from there. Thailand is not a PC type nation like many Western countries.
China is the same.

Employers there do not have to take age, race, gender etc into consideration. People are often discriminated against often in terms of race, gender, age, and many people see nothing wrong with it.

A lot of employers will only employ the prettiest girls and most handsome men ( including female bosses ) and this is not just in bars and restaurants but in all sort of industries. Whether they are dumb or not or really qualified for the job is often irrelevant.

Racism is rampant. There have even been signs outside of beer bars and go-go's in Pattaya saying "no blacks, no Indians, no Chinese, no Arabs". I feel that this is because they are mainly the groups that cause trouble, but imagine if you put up a sign like that in the UK or Australia!

People over 40 are considered to be old as far as employment goes. Remember though that in the West it's the same. Sure there are "anti-discrimination " laws but employers will come up with all sort of excuses not to employ anyone over 45. I know that in Australia I am on the scrapheap as far as working for any employer is concerned ( I'm 49 ) If I want to ever work again it will be self-employment.

I would try central Bangkok or Pattaya to find work, as people there are more open minded as far as age and work goes, for white men anyway. Other than that, you can just marry a Thai girl for a visa and do private tuition. More than a few guys have done this before, believe me! Thai women certainly do NOT discriminate against farangs as far as age is concerned!

I also suggest to try a few universities, don't waste time with any training centre or private school. They are all shit whether in Thailand or elsewhere in Asia. The problem is systematic as many ESL long timers have pointed out.

Adrian - 2018-03-29
Age discrimination in Thailand

I'm a native English speaker from England - with a neutral British accent.

I have a degree in English.
A TEFL certificate.
Current and previous teaching experience.
High standard of grammar.
Can also teach French as have French university certificate.
Clean police from the UK CRB/DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service).
Excellent references.
Undertaken voluntary teaching in Sri Lanka a few years ago.

EXCELLENT! - great CV - no problem getting a job in Thailand!

WRONG!

I have applied for 26 jobs in Thailand since passing my TEFL course last month - NOT ONE REPLY!

I think the reason is age discrimination - I'm 53 - not a bright eyed fresh faced kid out of university and leaving home for the first time.

I've seen many other jobs but I've not applied for these because the maximum age wanted is 45 or 50.

If this was the UK it would not be allowed!

Just because I'm not a spring chicken doesn't mean I can't teach or have the energy of someone younger - I have valuable life skills and experience.

Rant over - I'm wondering if anyone else of a similar age has had this problem - and if so, did they get a job in the end in Thailand?

Can anybody recommend schools/language schools in Thailand that are wiling to give a mature experienced teacher a chance?

Thanks

Adrian (not over the hill, nor past it or even near retirement age)

Return to Index › Age discrimination in Thailand

Go to another board -