TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › What's wrong with Chinese people seriously?
#1 Parent caring - 2018-03-29
Re: Re What's wrong with Chinese people seriously?

Confucius taught that all men were good and that none of them were superior to each other. Men's quality didn't depend on where they were born or what blood they had but what status they had in the society. Then, how good men were was based on their personalities and individual development. So, I think that the "inner circle" vs the "outside circle" is a misunderstanding and/or perhaps a misquote out of the context. The reasons why foreigners are looked down at in China is way beyond Confucius.

The xenophobia, in my view, has developed after the 1949 suggested below and it's intensified mostly in the new millennium. The Chinese values and the importance of ancestors which are parts of Confucius doctrine are emphasized to solidify the current leadership's position rather than the ancient teaching which suggests "benevolent and frugal rulers", since there have been a lot of foreign opportunists following PRC's WTO entry. What young Chinese learn nowadays has more to do with Marxism than Confusius as this teaching is also more convenient to keep the party within its powers which Confusius may not suit well for.

In a nutshell, the rude approach to mullticultural families that brands them as "mixed blood" and as different is simply not what Confucius would have agreed with. Moreover, the disrespect for foreign teachers that would've been considered for noble individuals within Confucius doctrine is regrettable too. Whether the current fear and hatred for strangers is brought further to new levels remains to be seen.

One possible answer may be that China with its strong Confucianist background differentiates between people in the "inner circle" and those outside such a (social) circle. That attitude includes strangers of Chinese origin and foreigners - Western as well as those of non-Han ethnic background (ethnic minorities in China). The last Imperial dynasty in China was the Qing or Manchu dynasty. They came into power by force and were never really accepted by the Han Chinese. The same for the foreigners from the West who made the Han Chinese feel humiliated from the time of the Opium Wars on till 1949 when the communists took over. They now look back to history and feel now confirmed in their ethnocentric approach.

There are other possible answers; it would make a post too lengthy to read to name and discuss all of them.

#2 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Shouldn't it be "fashion-conscious" instead?

Wonder what SB thinks of Dean Martin who was very fashion conscience.

Tell a Friend

it should be. You can of course say fashion-conscience though, as you will know. More me thinking about something else than being a foreigner.

#3 Parent Non-nadiff sbeaker - 2018-03-29

Shouldn't it be "fashion-conscious" instead?

#4 Parent Educationist - 2018-03-29

One possible answer may be that China with its strong Confucianist background differentiates between people in the "inner circle" and those outside such a (social) circle. That attitude includes strangers of Chinese origin and foreigners - Western as well as those of non-Han ethnic background (ethnic minorities in China). The last Imperial dynasty in China was the Qing or Manchu dynasty. They came into power by force and were never really accepted by the Han Chinese. The same for the foreigners from the West who made the Han Chinese feel humiliated from the time of the Opium Wars on till 1949 when the communists took over. They now look back to history and feel now confirmed in their ethnocentric approach.

There are other possible answers; it would make a post too lengthy to read to name and discuss all of them.

This thread was right on about the Chinese people's inability to recognize foreigners as equal human beings and about how tough it may be for FTs working and living in the nation.
#5 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

So, should we spin this thread as the physical vs psychological abuse? This thread was right on about the Chinese people's inability to recognize foreigners as equal human beings and about how tough it may be for FTs working and living in the nation. Now, this thread is drawing parallels rather than arriving to conclusions based on the OP.

I just answered a post saying that in the West us teachers can give our students a clip around the ear if the mood takes, and the little shit's parents would say "Well done, teacher, the little fucker had it coming- here's the price of a pint, teacher!- knock the smelly little rats teeth out next time he gives you any lip!" I suggested to the other poster that events wouldn't pan out like that.

#6 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

've heard that there was this incredible linguist and teacher in China called "Shaun" or "Silverboy".

He studied Applied Linguistics at a leading Australian university and got Honors. He is very versatile by having a degree in fashion also.

I've heard on the grapevine that he was once a hell of an engineer when he worked in construction.

He is also and expert on Asian women and Thai sexual culture in particular.

Anyhow, back to education. I'm sure Silverboy is severely missed every day by his former students in Wuhan and Nanning.

The hallowed corridors of China's fine education establishments are lesser for the absence of this fine individual.

I only got to make the tea on building sites- apart from humping one hundredweight bags of cement up ladders and stuff. Oh and the theodolite. The foreman used to say 'go and get the yuppie(they didn't actually know what a yuppie was) to check things out.' Good fun though, as long as you don't have to do it for a regular living.

Most of us have a lot of respect for SB but I would like to see him return to China and make a success of it. Get paid while you copulate has to make sense. Not that that was a big attraction for me.

#7 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

So, should we spin this thread as the physical vs psychological abuse? This thread was right on about the Chinese people's inability to recognize foreigners as equal human beings and about how tough it may be for FTs working and living in the nation. Now, this thread is drawing parallels rather than arriving to conclusions based on the OP.

You have provided good sensible information and advice. Sadly another poster attempted to knock my post off course without replacing it with anything better.

As we were at the start of the thread. You can't hit your students in the West and get gay support from their parents. As a teacher in China you will be less likely to be beaten up than at Exeter Comprehensive.

#8 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

The only guiding line should be is whether the school is sound, does its job without brainwashing the students, is a real place of learning with a stimulating and challenging learning environment and is run by people of integrity.

This is the foundation for a school to make a real difference, whether religious or not, and nothing else.

One of China's first linguists in the 19th century was Ma Jianzhong. He graduated from a Jesuite college in Fujian province, was sent to France to study law and later became a court official to represent the Chinese Imperial side in the negotiations for the Treaty of Nanjing in the period following the Opium Wars. He was the one to write the first grammar on Chinese ever written in China's long history of several thousand years. It is called Mashi Wentong and is still held in high esteem in contemporary China.

You have provided good sensible information and advice. Sadly another poster attempted to knock my post off course without replacing it with anything better.

As we were at the start of the thread. You can't hit your students in the West and get gay support from their parents. As a teacher in China you will be less likely to be beaten up than at Exeter Comprehensive.

#9 Parent Fifi - 2018-03-29

Ha ha ha
A good one, SB

#10 Parent The Pilbara - 2018-03-29

I've heard that there was this incredible linguist and teacher in China called "Shaun" or "Silverboy".

He studied Applied Linguistics at a leading Australian university and got Honors. He is very versatile by having a degree in fashion also.

I've heard on the grapevine that he was once a hell of an engineer when he worked in construction.

He is also and expert on Asian women and Thai sexual culture in particular.

Anyhow, back to education. I'm sure Silverboy is severely missed every day by his former students in Wuhan and Nanning.

The hallowed corridors of China's fine education establishments are lesser for the absence of this fine individual.

#11 Parent Educationist - 2018-03-29

The only guiding line should be is whether the school is sound, does its job without brainwashing the students, is a real place of learning with a stimulating and challenging learning environment and is run by people of integrity.

This is the foundation for a school to make a real difference, whether religious or not, and nothing else.

One of China's first linguists in the 19th century was Ma Jianzhong. He graduated from a Jesuite college in Fujian province, was sent to France to study law and later became a court official to represent the Chinese Imperial side in the negotiations for the Treaty of Nanjing in the period following the Opium Wars. He was the one to write the first grammar on Chinese ever written in China's long history of several thousand years. It is called Mashi Wentong and is still held in high esteem in contemporary China.

#12 Parent Fifi - 2018-03-29

OK, Turnoi

#13 Parent Educationist - 2018-03-29

I personally sent my own kids to a private religious school when they were young, and I wouldn't recommend it either today as a general option. In developing nations, schools run by religious organisations are often the ONLY option for many people, especially those from the less privileged masses, who are poor. Secular education provided by schools with a religious background are often top-notch and the best in a city or area. In Kathmandu, one of the private colleges run by the Jesuite order and providing tertiary-level education, is in high demand and has a high reputation. The same for certain schools all over Africa.

With that being said, I think you should refrain from telling anyone which schools h/she should send his/her kids to. You are the least one to provide good advice in this respect.

And because of your belief, you are planning to send Esther to a religious private school for girls only, on the shore of some remote area. Shame on you, Taffy. That was good in the Victorian times; no longer good. Even bad. Shame shame
#14 Parent Fifi - 2018-03-29

And because of your belief, you are planning to send Esther to a religious private school for girls only, on the shore of some remote area. Shame on you, Taffy. That was good in the Victorian times; no longer good. Even bad. Shame shame

#15 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29
Re What's wrong with Chinese people seriously?

Back home, you could probably cuff and slap on the cheek those kids who misbehave in order to teach them a lesson about respecting adults, and their parents would totally support you and punish them for disrespecting another adult.

Are you joking. I can tell you from long experience(but just read the newspapers) that British universities are safe, as are private and public schools. State schools are unsafe and if you are a teacher you can easily get stabbed to death by a pupil. Parents of the lower orders are as common as muck and will side with their moronic offspring. There's a good chance you will be beaten up by a parent. None of this will happen in China.

#16 Parent SuperKupo - 2018-03-29

Back home, you could probably cuff and slap on the cheek those kids who misbehave in order to teach them a lesson about respecting adults, and their parents would totally support you and punish them for disrespecting another adult. I suggest doing the same here, especially if your Chinese is good enough to explain to them that they are being little racist scums. Although I suspect that the parents would totally freak out and make a scene about the laowai because they consider that treating you like a freak is normal and you asking for normal treatment means you disrespect China or something like that. Pretty retarded society. As for adults, Chinese usually treat Foreigners like freak shows no matter what you do, trying to talk to them about it is a waste of time, the only thing they understand is your fist in their face, but then they hate you even more after that, not that I personally care if they like me.

#17 Parent In the Know - 2018-03-29

In the eyes of your current environment, you are looked at as an outsider and will never belong to what they would consider their "inner circle".

#18 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

You've practically replied seconds after my post which theoretically suggests how sorry you are. In any case, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Theoretically, Caring, if you bring your children to the West, they will also be the target of some discrimination based on the fact that they lookChinese. So... I can't help but feel sorry for them as I understand that they are going to be "different" any where in the world (except in some largeAsian metropolis).
#19 Parent Arthur - 2018-03-29

Theoretically, Caring, if you bring your children to the West, they will also be the target of some discrimination based on the fact that they look Chinese. So... I can't help but feel sorry for them as I understand that they are going to be "different" any where in the world (except in some large Asian metropolis).

#20 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

The education in schools/at home is the reason why so many Chinese are so uncomfortable with foreigners. My kids and I have to daily cope with incredible amounts of attention, questions and talking behind our backs. My kids are branded "mixed blood" after a few insulting questions and I, after being suspected of Xin Jiang Lao (Xin Jiang Foreigner), am looked at as some unwanted species from an unknown territories. I often feel so sorry for my wife who is a Chinese national and who has to deal with all that stuff. I especially feel sorry for my children that may have their self-esteem down for all the poor social attitudes around. Whenever I've come to pick them up from school, other kids stare, point fingers at us and scream "waiguoren" or "laowai" like it was necessary to say so loudly that we really are from elsewhere..which my kids truly aren't for they are born and raised in the same nation as the other kids. Moreover, I've been in the country for quite a bit longer than all those children that single me out so much that I am such an outsider. Anyhow, teachers do not assist their students with appropriate behaviours other than yell "hello" when they see foreigners, and then parents mostly tell their little ones that foreigners are different than they are. Whether the situation ever changes remains to be seen in the Beijing's concept of education and the social upbringing of Chinese that actually are not as hostile as some other nations' folks are.

#21 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

I doubt it's even Guangzhou now as they have seriously cracked down on the illegally residing Africans and have started gentrifying the areas where they used to live and trade. If it's not Guangzhou or Shanghai; or the other tier 1's Beijing and Shenzhen, it could be Nanjing as a lot of foreigners are moving there now for some reason.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Chengdu. Chongqing and Kunming actually have the most; but many would be unregistered according to such counts, as they are often transient backpacker types possibly working illegally on tourist visas. Yiwu also for similar reasons, although that's more about the Arab guys regulary popping over to buy wholesale products.

Also, one wonders about the Northern cities where there may be a large Korean population. Beijing was once said to have at least 100,000 Koreans living in or around the slightly far out suburb of Wangjing alone, so the likes of Qingdao, Shenyang and Dalian could actually have more foreigners present at any given time despite our Western eyes not easily noticing it; despite recent problems faced by Korean businesses in China due to political issues.

#22 Parent Parody Parrot - 2018-03-29

Which city is it? Shanghai used to have around about 160,000 foreigners but that number has seriously declined as more attractive destinations like Thailand lured ex-pats away. Guangzhou has the most foreigners now I think. I've met heaps of ex-China foreigners in Pattaya.

I know just in my own circle 10 ex-pats who moved from China to either Thailand ( Pattaya ) or Philippines ( Cebu )

You want to know why Chinese behave the way they do? They think they are a superior race and don't respect people from other countries. It is a mindset similar to the Japanese before WW2.

China is not even a "culture" these days, but the brainwashing idiocy from the Cultural Revolution and the new President sticks with the people.

Even the younger crowd ( 19-26 y/o ) are often brainwashed and the new nutcase leader has made the problem worse. He is one of the reasons why the more open minded Chinese ( not that many of them ) are trying to leave China. They can see the future for them is bleak.

And people think Trump is a tyrant, what about China!

Strangely, Nanning, Guangxi, is a city where foreigners are mostly ignored. There are no stares, nobody is curious about foreigners.

If you don't want to be stared at move there, but it's a dirty and polluted shit hole full of ignorant and arrogant peasants.

Still got people barking like dogs when they talk, spitting, pissing in the streets, throwing rubbish everywhere, disgusting.

#23 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

How come I still get stares and antisocial behaviors in 2017 while living in a large city with over 100000 other resident foreigners and a ton more coming everyday for business or tourism? Why are they refusing to evolve and start treating people the same regardless of the way they look? Never so such backward mentality anywhere else in the world, certainly not in large cities.

Maybe I am blissfully unaware a lot of my time. I spend a lot of time in China. I am a pensioner. Most of the time my hair grows down to my shoulders. I am nearly 6' 4." I did have a beer gut. We have a girl of nearly four. And I don't get much attention at all- certainly nothing hostile. It is a bit of a shithole I must admit.

SuperKupo - 2018-03-29
What's wrong with Chinese people seriously?

How come I still get stares and antisocial behaviors in 2017 while living in a large city with over 100000 other resident foreigners and a ton more coming everyday for business or tourism? Why are they refusing to evolve and start treating people the same regardless of the way they look? Never so such backward mentality anywhere else in the world, certainly not in large cities.

Return to Index › What's wrong with Chinese people seriously?

Go to another board -