TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › CANADIANS NOT TREATED WELL IN PRISON???? - ESL discussion *Link*
#1 Parent Pita - 2005-03-25
www.pusanweb.com clickefl law - ESL discussion

Try that link

KimBob - 2005-03-23
CANADIANS NOT TREATED WELL IN PRISON???? - ESL discussion *Link*

I came across this today. I don't understand.
Are they being treated unfairly in prison??? who is responsible?????

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/22/canuck-koreanjail0322.html

Two of my friends are in detention at the Police Staion, serious charges pending, here's why:

Late Friday night/Saturday morning, about 4 am, two of my friends, both Canadian citizens were involved in a fight with 3 Korean men. THey had exchanged words with the men in THE BAR (name of establishment in Sinchon) and we left the establish ment. While one of my friends, Jason, was relieving himself in an alley, two men attacked my other friend Scott. Both Jason and Scott are very big men, and the fight that ensued was not very pretty. We began by trying to push the Korean men away, as did one other Korean man who was a friend of those who began the violence. After dodging punches repeatedly, Scott lsot his temper and punched one of the men a single time, which was enough to break his jaw and put him in the hospital. Jayson, who was enraged at being suckerpunched with his pants around his ankles hit one of the other men a few times after that, though no serious injuries occured. Meanwhile, myself and one of the Korean men were trying our best to break up the fight, but we didn't have any luck. Once it started, neither side wanted to walk away.

That was a very long description, as accuracte as I can manage.

The police arrived and took all of us to the police office (minus the one man who was taken to hospital). While in police custody, the Korean men were given MUCH different treatment than ourselves. They gave their statements and left. They claimed that we attacked them (by we, I mean my friends Jayson and Scott). This is absolutley NOT TRUE. The translator who claimed to be working for us constantly eveaded direct questions such as "Have we been charged with a crime. If so, what crime?" and "Do we need a lawyer?" There was no communication barrier here, he understood, and he stonewalled us.

Jayson was asked to sign what we assume was an admission of guilt, though we were never told what it was he was to sign. I calle the Canadian Embassy and used the Emergency line to Canada, on which I explained our situation but could not recieve immediate help or advice because I couldn't answer her questions like "Have you been charged with a crime? If so, what crime?"

After several hours I was told to leave, and Jayson and Scott had to stay. They are now in police custody, and a different translator has called me on Scott's behalf to tell me that they are in SERIOUS trouble, and have been charged with a crime, but he couldn't way what. I can see them again during visiting hours tommorow 9am to 6pm, I hope to know more then. If you have any advice, or a good lawyer to reccomend, my friends need it badly.

This was a long post, and exhausting to read, if anyone got to the end and can help, please reply, I will be checking this post frequently. My phone number is 010-3148-8887.

Return to Index › CANADIANS NOT TREATED WELL IN PRISON???? - ESL discussion *Link*

Go to another board -