TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Recruiters in Taiwan
#1 Parent mic - 2005-03-15
Good job NPC! More about Taiwan...

Great work Premier Wen Jiabao, the law is a good one. Now, lets make Taiwan start legitimate business practices also!

Something about many jobs in Taiwan:

Taiwanese schools are unable to process employment visas before you leave North America. Many people end up working illegally for several months only to discover that their school doesn't have the ability to offer them an employment visa. When this happens, you either have to find a new job or return home at your own expense. During this "illegal" period, you have to fly to Hong Kong every 30 or 60 days to get a new tourist visa. This is usually at your own expense. Without the visa, Taiwanese schools have made no legal commitment to hire you and many schools view the visa waiting period as probation and will not hesitate to fire you if they are unhappy with you in any way or if their teaching needs change during the first few months of your employment.

Schools in Taiwan almost never offer air up front. Furthermore, your income is taxed at 20% in Taiwan for the first six months. Theoretically, it is possible to get some of this back; however many people never do. Taiwan also requires that foreigners pass medical and drug tests in order to receive employment visas. Korea has no such requirements. Lastly, classes in Taiwan are larger, often reaching 20 students. In Korea, class sizes rarely exceed 12. Taiwan has been in recession since mid-2000 and many schools are on shaky financial ground.

#2 Parent mic - 2005-03-11
Taiwan..... need I say more

Taiwan, need I say more, they cheat everyone, even their own people. Many Taiwanese are trying to steal the island from the rightful owner of P. R. China.

#3 Parent Old Spice - 2005-03-10
Are you really an English teacher ?

I would expect a so-called English teacher to know the difference between "there" and "their" REALLY !!!!

#4 Parent ESL teacher - 2005-03-10
Thanks, Sherry!How about in China ? *No message*

Sherry - 2005-03-10
Recruiters in Taiwan

For those that wish to teach in Taiwan
Please keep in mind do not agree to any contract you do not feel good about.

Here are some things I will list out to you and not to agree with.

1. Never accept a contract that wants to withhold money from you every month. (This is Illegal in Taiwan)

2. Do not accept any contract where your employer has the power to fine you. Such as being late for work.

3.Ask if you are living with other teachers. If so find you own accommodations or decline the offer.

4. Ask if you are working at one school or different schools around the city.

5. Do they provide transportation?

6. Ask for photos of your living accommodations, if they do not want to provide photos to you, hello red flags.

7. In general do not take any recruiters bulls##t. If catch them in a lie make them feel so small and hurt there feelings so much, and hopefully they will remember not to lie to you again.

8. Avoid Recruiters in general, Recruiters only make money off of you and don't care about you.
And hassle you all the time about everything.

9. And if you are working for a recruiter, my advice is to you stay there for a short time get your apartment ASAP, and then take their contracts. Then when you get your last pay, ask them for a big loan and walk away.

10. Do not take any threats from a recruiter

I got screwed well, I lost 40000NT

Sherry

If you have any problems with schools in general or recruiters in Asia and their false promises, please email me. sherry@imtoosexy.com

Please state the problems that you had. Please take photos of the school and the living accommodations and there web address. I will post them on my website and hopefully other websites will follow suit. Lets work together and fight back.

Return to Index › Recruiters in Taiwan

Go to another board -