TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Need Some Opinions QUICK --- PLEASE HELP
#1 Parent Robin Day - 2005-01-25
Korean hogwans (private school)

I have worked at many private schools over the years. It is ALWAYS best to go and see the school and work there a while before you sign a contract and decide to stay. The same old advice applies: Don't buy a pig in a poke, or look before you leap. Brand new schools are often the best. I was treated so well by owners of a new school in Busan. I did my best and the kids will remember me. I brought years of experience and creativity to the class. The first year is the hardest because you must pick up the basic language and you have to develop teaching methods. Always remember that the owners are business people and the parents want you to help the children and make the experience positive. Will advise any teacher planning on going to Korea. I had 7.5 years there with many ups and downs.

#2 Parent kl - 2005-01-21
things are going as planned

beer is good in korea

#3 Parent ted - 2005-01-21
dont sign - keep searching

> I am about to sign a contract to teach english in S. Korea. The
> school that offered me the contract has only been open for 6 months.
> They have offered to pay me 2.1m won which is pretty good considering
> I only have a BA and no esl experience.

> In the contract it states that I will be paid the salary of a month
> on the last day of the following month.

> My Questions:

> How often do schools go out of business? lots
> What is the current tax rate deduction in S. Korea? 2.1m won is around $60 a month
> What other deductions are there and is pension? ??

> When I asked to speak with the current foreign teachers the director
> told me that it would not be possible, is that normal? BADdddddddddd sign

> How easy is it to find a job if you are already in Korea?(just in case) could help

> Please HELP me I am supposed to sign with 24 hours, any advice anyone
> has for me would be appreciated thank you.

you are about to get into big troubles if you sign this contract

Can someone help - 2005-01-21
Need Some Opinions QUICK --- PLEASE HELP

I am about to sign a contract to teach english in S. Korea. The school that offered me the contract has only been open for 6 months. They have offered to pay me 2.1m won which is pretty good considering I only have a BA and no esl experience.

In the contract it states that I will be paid the salary of a month on the last day of the following month.

My Questions:

How often do schools go out of business?

What is the current tax rate deduction in S. Korea?

What other deductions are there and is pension?

When I asked to speak with the current foreign teachers the director told me that it would not be possible, is that normal?

How easy is it to find a job if you are already in Korea?(just in case)

Please HELP me I am supposed to sign with 24 hours, any advice anyone has for me would be appreciated thank you.

Return to Index › Need Some Opinions QUICK --- PLEASE HELP

Go to another board -