TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China: Xian Aston - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Craig Nisbet - 2007-08-18
Xian Aston English School Pictures - Teachers Discussion

Sorry I did not see the response to my last post. I've added some pictures of the school to this message.

Hopefully it should work and you can see the difference for yourselves.

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/268699173_a9de0c9667_m.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/90/268615531_979264bee7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/268615557_161040b35d.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/268535278_03513e63dc.jpg[/img]

#2 Parent Steve - 2007-02-03
New Aston - Teachers Discussion

Hi Craig. Your discribtion of the new Aston in Xian still sounds like the old one which was run down and crowded when classes were happening on a weekend. Provide some pics so we can see for ourselves!

#3 Parent Craig Nisbet - 2007-01-28
In response to your concerns - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Hello,

I just wanted to add my two cents. Aston English school as a whole has been in a growth process. Just this year Xian Aston has moved it's primary location and expanded it's second location. We are constantly inproving out facilities and apartment locations. All of the older apartments have been taken out of the rota and have been replaced with nicer ones.

It's true that Dana was a teacher at our school and did run into some small problems. At the time I was merely a teacher, however, last September I took over the position as the City Director Assistant for Xian Aston. As for the problems, I am not too clear what they were or how they were dealt with. That was the responsibility of the old City Director Assistant.

The other day I was informed that Dana was asking for a reference from the old City Director Assistant. I was very concerned about this since slating the company was in her best interests. I talked to the former City Director Assistant and we both agreed to comment on her teaching ability. Why?? Mostly because we are not in the business of hurting people.

If you want to see the school for yourself please look on the following website: http://www.astonenglish.cn/e/fenxiao.asp?school_id=25

The school has completly changed in the past year and only for the better. If anyone is interested in contacting me directly, they can send an email to my account attached to this thread.

My main personal goal at work is making sure that my staff is happy and confortable. The second is the children's education and the third is the school itself.

#4 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-09-11
That's the official line... - Teachers Discussion

Yes, this is what they tell everyone as they come in. "Everything is great here, and anyone who doesn't like us is just a malcontent and a loser."

I've seen the phenomenon referred to...there are indeed lots of people here in China who have impossible expectations and whine about everything in sight. But I can assure you that not all the complaints fall into this category.

#5 Parent Dana - 2006-09-11
What I Think - Teachers Discussion

Hi Blake. I hope that you are enjoying your time at the Aston School that you r at. I have read here that you had a terrible time with your old school Kids Castle this past year. I do not want to argue with you here I only want to point out a few things and warn you of some pitfalls that you might encounter there.

Many of the apartments that Xian Aston put their teachers in are terrible and mine was the worset. Some of the apartments were pure gems but most were not! A he difference between the best and the worset.

Some of what bothered me was the lack of action taken by any of the management but esp. the western ones. Being lied to about how much concern that the school/the company had in this issue and any issues that we teachers raised. Nothing was ever done. Yes you can go and write to their head office but the reply that I got came back from a Chinese vice pres. Saying that talking is important when dealing with problems. Well that showed me what how this company wanted to handle any problems from teachers. More double talk.

Yes I was otherwise happy with my stay there in Xian. I did not let this get me down. But what I do not understand is why try to show such a rosey picture on your web site trying to make potential teaches think that you are better than other schools when you are not. Profit drives this whole ESL thing here. Maybe that is why you spend this money painting this wonderful picture.

Non of us need to go through any of these problem that you and I have encountered during our stay in China. I hope you have a wonderful time at your new school Blake and success as a teacher.

Dana

#6 Parent Matthew - 2006-09-10
Back to the topic of aston schools - Teachers Discussion

I have worked for Aston Schools in three different locations now
Dalian, Jinan and Chengdu

In my experience they have always been fair to me.

I have also found that in every location there are always teachers that complain.
But then us FT's in China are a whiney bunch, so it never surprises me that someone is moaning about something.

#7 Parent Wendy - 2006-09-05
Scott's Words - Teachers Discussion

I fully support Scott and his words here in his post. Stay away from these "chain" schools. I have worked for them and do not suggest anyone try it. I do not care if they clam to be "the world's largest", "largest American run" or "England's largest". They too are all profit driven and most of them now are Chinese owned franchises, running htings their way. The head offices are mostly Chinese too so who you have to turn to when you have problems? My suggestion is the internet. Get the word out about your school and your problems please, please, please!

#8 Parent Lynn - 2006-09-04
Think Again! - Teachers Discussion

I have been reading the on going stories about Aston English Schools with mild amusement. I have worked at three different schools over the past four years. I took a break and traveled for a year. I worked in Jinan, Xian and one of the "franchise schools" like you outside of Xian Blake. I saw and experienced a huge difference of treatment in all of these schools. The only school I would recommend is Jinan. Xian is a bad as the posts that I have read here and on their own web site. I never knew Dana as I worked there at a different time than she did.

Blake I hope that you are at a school there that has a better franchise than the one that I had. These franchises are giving Aston a real bad name and many teachers are finding this out. They are no different than any other Chinese run or managed school. The yuan is more important and many franchises only want to use the Aston name. Logo and rep to make as much money as they can. They ignore the class numbers, teachers are told to pass failing students, your are expected to be puppets on a string like the Chinese staff are when it comes to social outings with the franchise Head Master and their friends. I stopped going out to eat with my Head Master as I am not one who likes to drink beer and the rotten "bi jo" and I soon found myself disliked by the Head Master and he wanted a new teacher to replace me. I only had a six month contract and rode it out as the Head Office was not going to send a replacement.

I will say that I had no problems in Jinan but I too had similar problems as Dana and other teachers had in Xian. Yes Xian is not a smoothly run school. Many of the same problems happen there as in the franchise schools. I could go into detail but I will not at this time. Some of us Blake did complain to Dalian, the Head Office but it did no good.

People if you are going to work with Aston English I would only go to Jinan and do not go to a franchise school because they are profit driven like any other Chinese type school. Aston has lost a lot of the good name we worked

#9 Parent KJ - 2006-09-03
Thanks Raoul - Teachers Discussion

No problem Raoul. I kinda thought that's what you meant, but I thought I'd have a little fun with it.

Regarding the current discussion about wages dropping, it harkens back to a similar thread from quite awhile back. My feeling then - that wages were dropping in China due to the willingness of the uninitiated - met with some opposition. But now that wages have slipped even further toward blatantly unacceptable levels my detractors may be reconsidering their position - or not.

Three thousand RMB is bad enough, but I've actually seen a few ads for less than that. And of course those ads are placed by money-grubbing recruiters that specify that they are hiring only Filipinos or Africans. How sick is that?

One aspect of those positions that really sickens me is that well qualified teachers from Ghana or other African nations who, perhaps hesitatingly, accept such jobs out of sheer need coupled with a degree of naivity and blind faith, find themselves in a situation wherein they are not only paid less than the average but are also subjected to living conditions and/or behavior on the part of their employers that is unacceptable by any standards. In fact, I know of one very qualified teacher from Ghana who was paid 4,000 while I received 7,000 for the same work - a fact that is in itself sickening enough, but then added to it was the stenchful reality that while I was being paid on-time he was still waiting for three months back salary.

One can only hope that discernment will eventually outweigh the need for quick cash and that those who accept such positions will realize that they are not only negatively affecting the salary scale for all EFL teachers in China but that they are also, in the long term, diminishing the potential of their compatriots to enjoy fair treatment as well.

#10 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-09-01
Figure of speech... - Teachers Discussion

Hey KJ,
Aw, sorry, that's just the way I talk. "Not completely terrible" here really meant more like "not bad at all"...

And your last amplification is even better than that. Private schools in China (and other countries too!) really can be snake pits (even worse than the public ones!) and it sure wouldn't hurt to know the ropes first...

#11 Parent KJ - 2006-09-01
Scott and/or anyone actually interested - Teachers Discussion

In regards to my advice regarding private schools I'd like to clarify one thing.
Raoul, inadvertantly, I hope, misrepresented my advice by offering the following:

"I wouldn't go so far as KJ's advice to avoid private schools altogether...although if you can handle the lower pay of public schools it's not completely terrible advice. I do advise, however, staying away from the CHAIN schools. There's a huge body of unhappiness out there trailing them."

Well, thanks Raoul for stating that my advice wasn't "completely terrible;" meaning I guess that it was only partially terrible - lol. But as for the clarification - paraphrased - I stated that one should learn the landscape of EFL in China before venturing into the murky waters of private school teaching. Furthermore, I suggested that one should begin with a public college. Yeah, generally they pay less, but not always. And regardless whether they pay less or not, they are definitely more dependable than private organizations; moreover, they are a good starting point. As for myself, I've experienced pretty much the whole EFL scene in China.....ranging from an international school and private business college to public middle schools and private schools, and at this point I'm fairly content teaching for a public college at a reputable university for a higher than the average salary.

And so, my advice remains the same for first time China EFL teachers; begin with a public college. I will however add the caveat - research it well before making the leap. Perhaps the particular city or province won't suit your needs. For example: I wouldn't teach in Harbin - too damn cold. I wouldn't teach in Shanghai - too damn much of everything and if I wanted the cosmopolitan experience it would probably be somewhere else besides China. I wouldn't teach anywhere near Beijing (again) even if my life depended on it - too many Westerners (200,000 at last count), too much pollution and traffic, and too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer and, oh, I just love those sandstorms in the spring. And how about Qingdao? Yeah, so many people in China, especially recruiters, will tell you how great it is. Bah! Just another big city that happens to have a few so-so beaches and colder than an iceberg winter winds that blow for about six months out of the year. (Laoshan is great- one of the neatest places I've been in China actually - but you can visit there without living in Qingdao.)

Well, you get the picture. Now that there has been so many teachers who've taught here or who are teaching here, not to mention a huge ex-pat community, there's a wealth of information available. Check it out carefully. Save yourself a headache.

And, as always, good luck!

#12 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-31
A reason for those cold feet... - Teachers Discussion *Link*

I think it's safe to say that Aston fits the mold of chain schools...local conditions vary a lot with the owner and managers of the local franchise. In Aston's case my problems went all the way to the top of the organization, and I'm not sure an organization can be better than its leadership.

I definitely agree with KJ's observation that despite what they will tell you, the "Western-owned/Western managed" schools are often no better than the ones run by Chinese. Indeed, I think I've had far more trouble and heartbreak from the "Western-owned" schools than I've had from the homeys...and believe me, that's saying a hell of a lot.

I wouldn't go so far as KJ's advice to avoid private schools altogether...although if you can handle the lower pay of public schools it's not completely terrible advice. I do advise, however, staying away from the CHAIN schools. There's a huge body of unhappiness out there trailing them.

Scott, if you'd like you can PM me at spamjiaozi@yahoo.com (what the hell; it's plastered all over my own site anyway...) and I will fill you in completely on...the lovely city of Suzhou.

#13 Parent Blake - 2006-08-31
I don't think this warrents.... - Teachers Discussion

Hi Dana,

I've haven't had the chance to read the majority of responses to your post - so if I am repeating something that may have already been said, I apologise.

That said - I don't believe the experience that you had warrents you to warn all teachers away from Aston Xi'an. I'm not a teacher at this school (I am a teacher at a location just outside the city), nor do I really know any of the staff there but a problem with housing is the least of anyone's worries with the possiblities of problems teaching in China.

I don't mean to downplay what happened to you because I'm sure - for you - it was a horrible experience but this was an easily fixable problem. If you made a complaint to the school management and they did nothing - file a complaint with head office. If head office did nothing (they would have done what they could) then ask to be moved - ask for a housing allowance to move elsewhere on your own - etc.

Now - if you would like a recount of what COULD have happened to you during your stay in China....

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=11752
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=42643

Once again, I don't mean to downplay what happened to you - all I am saying is: problems with housing is a very common occurance. There are different standards within China regarding living conditions. For the future, you simply need to state what is acceptable and what isn't. Honestly, be glad you are safe and unscathed. It sounds like you were happy otherwise and enjoyed your job. That's the important thing. Don't let the minor circumstances ruin the whole experience for you.

#14 Parent KJ - 2006-08-31
Scott: Re Aston - Teachers Discussion

If you will research here further, you will discover that the general consensus is to avoid private schools altogether. In my opinion, and that of others who are well experienced in China, chain schools with Western management and/or owners, though they tout their professionalism quite vigorously through the use of nicely laid out websites and well spoken hiring staff, are as guilty as others in not living up to their promises - written or verbal. However, there are a few, (very few) private schools that are Western managed and /or owned that are worth your effort. But if you find yourself interested in one of them, it would be well worth your effort to ask probing and meaningful questions. As stated here before by myself and others, if the communication breaks down at any point during which you have asked those questions, it's time to back off and continue your job search.

It's also been stated here that one should ask for visual representations of the apartment and school where you will be living and teaching. Nine times out of ten that will be the end point - they really don't want you to see your shabby living quarters and they definitely don't want you to be aware of how unprofessional their school really is. Don't be fooled by pictures of the front office - they will make the effort to have that look nice; not only for your benefit but also for the benefit of the parents of potential students. One other thing is that you should get verifiable testimonials from past teachers. Don't be afraid of offending them by asking for these things. If they truly are a professional and well run organization, they won't be surprised or offended by your questions.

First time teachers in China would be well advised to avoid private schools no matter what. If you are truly interested in working in China and possibly making a difference, it would be wise to begin with a public college. Generally, you will be treated well with such a position and from that perch you can view the rest of the teaching environment in China. You will learn a lot simply by communicating with your fellow teachers and continuing your on-line research while employed in a relatively safe and honest environment. Proof of this can be found by surfing these websites where you will find that a low percentage of the complaints are in regards to the public colleges.

I should add that at the university where I am now employed there are three or four colleges that hire foreign teachers. Most of them have been teaching in China for as long as I have - meaning more than a few years. Many of these teachers have been teaching on this campus for more than two years. Their response when asked where they will teach next is always the same - why take the risk of teaching elsewhere when everything is ok here? Yeah, there will always be problems of one kind or the other. After all, this is an entirely different culture, but generally those problems can be resolved through awareness and working closely with the Foreign Affairs Office.

So again, avoid private schools - at least until you've learned the ropes through communication and research.

Good luck!

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. ~Hannah Whitall Smith

In giving advice seek to help, not to please, your friend. ~Solon

Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it. ~Mary Wortley Montagu

Well, no matter what one thinks about giving advice, the truth is that we who often post such advice as given above are often dumbfounded by how often it goes unheeded. Regardless; we keep on trying don't we? I like the last quote above though; it helps me remember that I must find the inner strength to heed my own advice even if it goes counter to my basic instinct to be a trusting person. I am often helped though, while traversing these EFL waters in China, by my Chinese girlfriend who feels the need to often remind me not to be so trusting. Any comments?

#15 Parent scott - 2006-08-31
cold feet for aston - Teachers Discussion

Wow I've been looking for opinions about Aston schools for a while without luck, and now that I've found this its pretty negative! I am in talks now with Aston Suzhou to be an assistant manager for their new school opening next month. I had initial cold feet and now they've become colder! EF gets roundly criticized for tremendous inconsistency between franchise locations - is that your opinion of Aston schools as well, or is it an across the board damnation? I agree that some points in the contract are not too attractive, but they are appearing more and more frequently in contracts I check out. I personally have already negotiated out the penalty clause and the shared housing in my talks with management, so its good to know that a contract is a negotiation start point, not the end until you sign. I'm very interested to know more, and getting nervous about this school. I hope to hear more, folks. Thanks.

#16 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-24
Ain't that the truth! - Teachers Discussion

About not using it trivially!

#17 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-23
Interesting thread. - Teachers Discussion

This is a good thread, mostly because posters aren't really brow-beating each other. It seems to be summarizing many of the threads I've been reading here.

I'm just wondering if anybody has written articles about this for hard-copy TEFL mags? It seems to me, many of the people that get interested in TEFL do so from seeing ads in travel type mags. Has anybody seen any kind of expose' recently that could bring some of this to light, and give a lot of this helpful advice to prospective teachers before they get too involved? Before they get to a place and situation and are saying WTF to themselves? Or maybe a two author article; one to write about the positives and the other to point out the negatives and all the traps involved?

I'm just wondering; I haven't noticed any, but I get only one journal.

Thanks!

#18 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-23
It does happen... - Teachers Discussion

Chuck,
I think that you are essentially right.

However, I have seen. even been part of, teacher solidarity in isolated pockets. IT DOES WORK!

It is hard to put together...it takes a good crew of teachers who are astute enough to realize that what happens to one teacher in a school will eventually happen to ALL the teachers there. "If we don't hang together, we will most assuredly hang separately..."

If you can get it together, it's an incredibly powerful weapon. Really about the only one we actually have. Like all powerful weapons it should never be used trivially, but I wish sometimes we could see more teachers sticking together for each other...

#19 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-23
Frank Rides Again - Teachers Discussion

You are your usual astute self here, Frank. Nicely deduced. Unlike you I DO have experience with this company. It was not pleasant and it's one contract-signing I deeply regret.

I don't know the original poster, Dana, at all. But I have not a shred of doubt in my mind that she speaks the truth.

#20 Parent Frank - 2006-08-23
My own little "Crash Course" In Aston Schools - Teachers Discussion

This increasingly intense discussion about Aston Schools certainly made me curious to learn more!

First of all, I am quite fond of this discussion forum, for numerous reasons. I appreciate the freedom and what I call the messiness of this place, but of course, theres a downside to that quality as well (Ill get to the point about that later.).

The first post to catch my attention was Danas recent Aston Double Talk in response to Aston Director Assistant, Owen Morris. I then read the entire thread, dating back to Danas original post Xian Aston 6 March 2006. As I read Danas post it certainly called to mind similar experiences Ive had with these kinds of educational organizations is the past. I have absolutely NO direct knowledge or experience with Aston, but I suppose due to my own bumpy ride in China, much of what Dana expressed regarding her experience rang true to me.

Owen Morris two responses were measured and thoughtful, and certainly a valiant attempt at some damage control, which he has every right to do. In fact, in the past two months, I have been openly quarrelling with another poster (John a/k/a Dave not the same Dave in this Aston-related thread) regarding fairness and balance on the part of posters. John seems to believe FTs, even when sounding the alarm about poor working conditions or a particularly bad episode at a school (public or for-profit), have a responsibility to offer a fair and balanced characterization of the school or manager in question. I simply dont agree. I feel if the school wants fair and balanced representation, then it is THEIR responsibility to defend themselves or join the discussion. Owen Morris has done that, and Im glad he has stated his position with regards to Danas claims.

Next comes JJ who strongly disagrees with Danas two posts. But at this point, two things are beginning to make me skeptical and/or uncomfortable. As I stated in the beginning, I like the loose environment here, but what is starting to make the whole thing a bit wobbly (especially this thread) is that all of the posters in this thread (except for Owen and Chuck, who like me, is on the outside of this situation), have not included e-mail addresses, or contact information of any kind. What begins to happen is that anyone, calling themselves by any name, with no traceable or credible identity can post, rant, rage, defend, carry on, etc. (Im mostly referring to JJ here, but almost everyone here seems to be fearful of being contacted privately.)

Sorry, JJ, but I simply didnt see how much of what you said had much to do with Danas assertions.

JJ, by saying things like:

Aston has given me language lessons, taken me to the hospital when I was sick, given me gifts on my birthday and for holidays treated me to countless meals and arranged trips and other activities. . .

OK, JJ First of all, I fail to see how birthday gifts compensate for incompetent working and poor housing? (Dave has already argued the hospital service issue in his post.)

DON'T SPEAK FOR ME!! I am capable of speaking for myself.

Excuse me, JJ, Dana said most teachers, not JJ

Aston is not perfect by any means but then no job is whether here or back home in that utopia that is The West. You spent no more than 6 weeks in China, I don't think this makes you an expert on the subject.

This utopia that is The West quip gives me the feeling perhaps youre not an FT after all Youre beginning to sound more and more like a Chinese staff member of Aston. But of course, JJ with no e-mail address could be anybody, anywhere. You could be the owner of Aston for all we know

I seem to remember seeing numerous negative posting about Aston on other ESL-related websites, so I began to look around Lo and behold, I find two new job postings for Aston today. Although they were posted by two different manager in different locations, both postings offered some exact same passages about the terms of the position.

For example:

Date: Monday 21 August 2006

Details

Aston English Schools (China's largest American managed school) is still seeking 5 teachers for our private language schools in Chongqing, Taiyuan, Xuzhou, Lanzhou and Yulin in China for our September term. We would like teachers to start on September 2nd.

We require:
Native speakers of English at least 21 years old
Nationalities preferred are Canada, United Kingdom, United States, Australia and New Zealand
College degree in any subject
Must be willing to teach children classes

Compensation
September Starts

One Year 25 to 27 Hrs./Wk.
Salary 6,200 RMB/month
Hours/Week 25-27
Teaching Days/Wk 5
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 25 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 1,000 USD
Medical Insurance Yes
Personal Leave Days 14

One Year 20 Hrs/Wk
Salary 5,000 RMB/month
Hours/Week 20
Teaching Days/Wk 3-4
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 20 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 500 USD
Medical Insurance Yes
Personal Leave Days 14

One Year 15 Hrs/Wk.
Salary 4000 RMB/month
Hours/Week 15
Teaching Days/Wk 2 to 3
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 15 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 300 USD
Personal Leave Days 14

Six Months 25 to 27 Hours/Wk
Salary 6,200RMB/month
Hours/Week 25-27
Teaching Days/Wk 5
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 25 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 225 USD
Personal Leave Days 7

Six Months 20 Hours/Wk
Salary 5000 RMB/Month
Hours/Week 20
Teaching Days/Wk 3-4
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 20 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 150 USD
Personal Leave Days 7

Six Months 15 Hours/Wk
Salary 4000 RMB/month
Hours/Week 15
Teaching Days/Wk 2-3
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 15 hours per week (monthly scale)
Completion Bonus 100 USD
Personal Leave Days 7

Note- All bonuses are intended as your flight reimbursement. To get a full flight reimbursement you must make a commitment for at least one year and do the full 25 hour contract. Lesser contracts allow you more flexibility such as the 15 hour contract only working 2-3 days per week, but you compromise on the bonus. Also note that leave days with AES are not paid. Time of is prorated from the monthly salary. All contracts include shared housing, Internet access and Chinese classes.

Wow!!! For a for-profit organization, their salaries seem incredibly LOW, especially for teaching children, which can be a highly exhausting endeavor.

25 teaching hours a week at 6200RMB, works out to 62 RMB per hour, or less.
Also above, the job posting states that Overtime pay is 100RMB per hour, but their website says 90RMB per OT hour (and that overtime is calculated on hours per month, not per week watch out!).

And what is this business in the terms about 7 or 14 personal leave days (depending on 6 or 12-month contracts), when later they tell you these leave days are unpaid!?!?!? Thats hardly attractive, or an incentive to sign a contract!

If wants to teach 15 hours a week for 4000RMB per month, they might as well sign with public university, and get paid a likely wage of 4500-5000RMB per month (depending on location). In fact, Aston states on their website that positions in Dalian and Jinan pay only 3500RMB a month for a 15-hour a week contract!!

Aston requires that teachers SHARE housing! Id never agree to that. Again, a university will pay someone near the same salary (or a little more), and provide private housing.

So now I decide to check out the Aston website http://www.astonenglish.cn/e/default.asp

Before I point out several more questionable entries, I want to praise Aston for at least providing a decent website, with lots of reasonably honest information (a true rarity in China!).

FROM THE ASTON WEBSITE:
What will my teaching schedule look like?

The answer to this question depends heavily on the type of contract you decide to sign.

Essentially, a 25-hour teacher's schedule might look like this:

Saturday - Up to 8 hours of classroom time - anytime from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM teaching kids from 6 to 17 years old. Classes are two hours with a break in the middle and time for lunch. Lower levels are taught by a Western teacher and a Chinese Teacher.

Sunday - Same as Saturday.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday OR Tuesday and Thursday - One class of adults in the morning. One or two classes in the late afternoon.

MWF adult classes are usually 2 hours. TTh classes are usually 1.5 hours.

A 15 hour teacher might have a Saturday and Sunday schedule similar to that described above with an English Corner on one day during the week.

A 20 hour teacher would have a Saturday and Sunday similar to the schedule described above as well as one TTH adult class or a full afternoon of classes on Wednesday.

The above examples are not rigid rules; each school may vary schedules slightly depending on local market needs. Teaching schedules are set by the Location Manager so any scheduling requests such as certain days off or vacation time are made with the school. Teachers may be scheduled for a substitution class, an outside company class, or other events such as English Corners to fulfill contract hour requirements.

The Aston Website indicates programs created for corporations. How were they set up? (I would be interested in creating/teaching a class geared toward a specific company.)

Course material and development go through the Education Department and your manager or teacher trainer. There are procedures in place for this, which your manager can elaborate on.

Given my background and assuming I stay at an Aston School more than one year, what type of extra role might be considered?

We normally promote from in-house staff. Depending on your qualifications and ability to adjust to living and working in China this could happen within a few months. Some people love it here and get along very well, some find it hard to get used to the Chinese way of doing business. Most new managers start out as General Assistants teaching a half schedule and helping out in the office and then move up to Assistant Location Manager, Location Manager, and then City Manager. There are also possibilities for positions as teacher trainer or in the head office if you have specific talents that Aston is looking for.

Are apartments individual or shared? If the latter, how are assignments made?

Shared. We ask applicants their preference (smoking/non; male/female; old/young) and assign from there unless you specifically request a person you know.

Visa Applications and Processing

Anyone and everyone that enters China will need a visa. If you are planning to be in China as a teacher, you'll in most cases need a work visa (otherwise known as Z visa). The flaming hoops and red tape involved in the process of obtaining a Z visa can be slightly daunting. You should always work directly with the staff at your assigned school if you have any questions regarding visas. The staff at your school will know the particulars regard local regulations and issues that the central office or our overseas recruiting offices may not know about.
Our teachers are responsible for all visa fees outside of China. Within China, Aston pays for our teachers' work residency processing, registration, and the in-China medical exam.

Hey, I dont know about you, but I would never sign a contract with these guys!

OK, did you notice that they give a scenario where some teachers are expected to teach children for EIGHT hours on Saturdays and Sundays?

They also talk about some programs which offer corporate training. I can tell you from experience that most teachers who do corporate training (including myself) usually ake 150-200 RMB per hour. I would never do this work for what Aston pays (they must be making huge profits from their teachers)!

In the past, when Ive been offered a manager or Head Teacher position I decline; because from what Ive seen, heard, and experienced first-hand, these managers or Head Teachers are used mostly as messengers for the owners. Rather than facing the teacher directly when they want to make salary deductions, or some other type of creative penalty (which they know will likely enrage the FT), they make the foreign manager deliver the news. Education input or serving as an advocate for FTs rarely comes into play, if ever. Does this sound familiar Dana? Dave? Owen? For a slightly higher salary than the pitiful one been paid to the FT, these managers accept the extra money to protect the financial interests of the owner(s). Ugh!

In the Aston model (stated above in the section on extra role), it also implies that perhaps commissions are part of the managers monthly salary, which also feeds the potential for deception, misrepresentation, and possibly threatening behavior on the part of the foreign managers. Ring any bells, anyone?

Finally, in addition to the bliss of shared housing, the cherry on the Aston sundae is their refusal to reimburse the cost of the FTs visa.

I now believe Dana more than ever! Once unsuspecting FTs arrive and start working in China (and for outfits like Aston), and they find out how many hours they should really be teaching, and what kind of wages they should really be earning, I imagine they are happy to get away from Aston ASAP.

#21 Parent Dave - 2006-08-23
Don't Speak For Me JJ! - Teachers Discussion

I too worked for Aston and I worked for them for two years and also in Xian for a time. I would not speak highly of the Aston school in Xian. Actually I would not speak positive about that school at all. I saw three foreign managers there and I do not know how they were picked to be managers. I saw these managers show us as skills of a good teacher or as a decent manager. As I heard them speak many times about teaching and managerail roles. I saw them do very little intheir jobs. Hiding seemed to be their beest job skill.

At the other schools that I worked at the managers were better than Xain by a huge margin. I knew of Dana's problems and she sucked it up, came to work as a professional. She could of came to school every day and sulked about, not wanting to teach and cry "poor me".

I would not say that there is a good team there in Xian now with Owen leading the way. Teachers are shorted pay when they are not giving their contracted hours. The teachers are to be paid their full salary and be given full hours as per their contract.

JJ we never saw anyone taking us to the hospital. It was sink or swim! Some teachers were even threatened with losing their jobs when they were sick by the foreign manager not by the Chinese managers. So you have been lucky or a good friend of someone.

I know of several teachers that I taught with at Aston who are still in China working but not working for Aston anymore.

In closing I do support Dana in what she has said here.

#22 Parent JJ - 2006-08-22
Don't speak for me. - Teachers Discussion

> This weekend the teachers will be running out of the doors from Xian
> Aston and other Aston schools as their contracts are over. Glad to be
> rid of the place.

I am leaving Aston this weekend and I for one will be sad. I have had a great time teaching for them,
I am returning home due to family commitments but hope to return in the future.

> If you are going to do something Owen just do it and stop your verbal
> BS. Actions speak louder than words people! We all know that. So why
> doesn't Aston do things to help us teachers who travel across the
> world to come here and work.

What exactly do you want him to do? You have left and he said he was sorry if you had a bad time there. I also know for a fact that during your time at Aston Xi'an you were happy and smiley and constantly telling the management staff that all was peachy. If nothing is said at the time then all that can happen is talk. Aston has given me language lessons, taken me to the hospital when I was sick, given me gifts on my birthday and for holidays treated me to countless meals and arranged trips and other activities. What exactly do you want them to do?

The foreign managers at Aston are all
> Chinese! They are only worried about their "face" with the
> head office in Dalian.

> Most teachers will not post a meesage here because they are glad to
> be finsihed with Aston. feel the world needs to know the the
> "largest American owned school in China " is just like any
> other poorly run Chinese school!

DON'T SPEAK FOR ME!! I am capable of speaking for myself. Aston is not perfect by any means but then no job is whether here or back home in that utopia that is The West. You spent no more than 6 weeks in China, I don't think this makes you an expert on the subject.

At the end of the day, you had probelms with the school that were not resolved before you left for whatever reason. This does not, in my eyes, warrant a personal attack on Owen or give you the right to be a mouthpiece for Aston teachers around the country of which I am an incredibly satisfied one

#23 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-22
Is there that much solidarity there? - Teachers Discussion

We all hear that a lot, that other teachers/employees/whoever will walk out en mass. But it never seems to materialize. Of course, if they all really are coming to the end of their contracts at the same time, then what's the loss? Chinese schools and companies come to expect teachers to not stick around. Mainly it seems there are plenty of others almost standing in line to fill the gaps, or others taking the over time.

But the idea of the people sticking together and sticking it to the employer often works great in the west, but hasn't really caught on in China. And if you think the Chinese owner/managers will lose face over it, they'll just put a different spin on it.

What somany teachers in China don't realise is that they are playing by Chinese rules, not western. And thats the big problem.

#24 Parent Dana - 2006-08-22
Aston Double Talk - Teachers Discussion

Well Owen's reply to my original message here is very typical of the way Aston likes to handle complaints. Talk, talk talk and talk! Owen was well aware from the beginning of my problems and did nothing but talk. At the end when they handed me a bill saying that I caused the damage I got more talk from you Owen and the other foreign managers. This weekend the teachers will be running out of the doors from Xian Aston and other Aston schools as their contracts are over. Glad to be rid of the place.

If you are going to do something Owen just do it and stop your verbal BS. Actions speak louder than words people! We all know that. So why doesn't Aston do things to help us teachers who travel across the world to come here and work. The foreign managers at Aston are all Chinese! They are only worried about their "face" with the head office in Dalian.

Most teachers will not post a meesage here because they are glad to be finsihed with Aston. feel the world needs to know the the "largest American owned school in China " is just like any other poorly run Chinese school!

#25 Parent Owen Morris - 2006-04-20
In my opinion.... - Teachers discussion

Dear Mike,

My previous comment simply reflected that most of the complaints I have viewed concerning Xian Aston originated before my time in the City, from a time when neither the teachers nor management were happy or successful in their roles.

As both a teacher and subsequently a member of the management team from that point on, I myself have been extremely happy here, and so have the large majority of the friends and colleagues I have made during my time with Aston (all over the country).

My point is that negativity hits hard and last forever when posted on the internet. I dont mean to suggest that current complaints should not be viewed and investigated, because listening to complaints is an essential way of making sure things run smoothly. In my view however, as humble as it may be, now in retrospect I personally find a lot of the comments posted hard to accept.

Yours sincerely, Owen Morris.

#26 Parent Mike T - 2006-04-15
Really? - Teachers discussion

Strange, AES usually seems to show no reticence at all about responding to complaints on sites such as this. Still, they seem to have a pretty shaky reputation with a fair number of people out there.

I'm curious about this statement:
"...some postings and complaints pre 2005 were in fact valid. The good thing however about AES as company is that they recognise this with the confidence that such complaints are not valid anymore."

So this means there really were problems until 2005, but now everything is wonderful, and anyone who complains now is lying?

I find that really hard to accept.

#27 Parent Owen Morris - 2006-04-02
Xian Aston English School - Teachers discussion

My name is Owen Morris, and I am the Director Assistant of Aston English School throughout Xian and the Shaanxi province. I usually do not reply to complaints made within sites such as this, but when one of my current teachers brought the previous comment posted by Dana to my attention, I felt that on this occasion I would offer my two pence worth to the topic.

I would like to start by saying that during her time with us, Dana was indeed a very good teacher and a thoroughly nice person. I do not wish my comments to undermine hers, or indeed anyone else, as everyone has a right to their opinion. I was however surprised to read this comment, due to the fact that during her time with us this teacher seemed relatively happy here in Xian. She did a have problems with her apartment for which I apologise, but a feel that her case by no means exemplifies the school or the experiences of our other teachers. In fact, using this current term within Xian as an example, our current teachers are so satisfied with both their working and living environments, that out of 29 foreign teachers currently based in our two Aston Schools in Xian, 25 have already requested to extend their contracts for next term and beyond, 2 teachers who have happily stayed with us for over two years and are leaving but have already asked to return in the near future, and the final two are leaving simply because they are returning to higher education in their home countries. Perhaps arguments should not be based on statistics alone, but this to me does not sound like a school that is underappreciated by its staff.

I myself have been with the company for fifteen months now, and do not see myself leaving any time soon. The teaching standard is high, the students never fail to amaze me and currently every single member of teaching and management staff is a joy to work with. Again I must stress that this is my opinion and I do not intend to defunct anyone elses viewpoints. However, Danas comment that This school was a living hell for most of the foreign teaching staff. No one shed a tear when they left, is quite frankly not true.

If you are indeed considering Aston as a possible employer (whether within Xian or indeed at another of their many locations throughout China), please feel free to contact me directly (omorris@astonschool.com) with any questions; or to possibly talk directly with current teachers about their view and experiences. Again I would like to express that no company or school is perfect, and in the case of Dana she was moved into to accommodation that has subsequently been refitted due to her suggestion. But from my experience having lived and worked throughout Asia for the past four years, in my eyes virtually all aspects of AES and Aston as a company are more than satisfactory.

May I also add, while on the subject, that some postings and complaints pre 2005 were in fact valid. The good thing however about AES as company is that they recognise this with the confidence that such complaints are not valid anymore.

Thank you for your time, and I wish everyone who is currently considering moving to China in the near future all the best. It is truly is an amazing country.

Yours sincerely, Owen Morris.

Dana - 2006-03-06
China: Xian Aston - Teachers discussion

I would like to warn you all out there about Aston English Schools. I worked this past winter (20005-06)in Xian for Aston. It was nothing short of a nightmare. THe apartment they moved me into was a dump. It was littered with beer bottles and other house junk left there by the previous teacher. When asked to have someone come around to clean it up I was told that it would have to wait. The apartment had no regular hot water to shower with. It was turned on only at certain times on certain days. The toilet did not work properly and the apartment had no heating of any source. Nothing was done to fix any of these problems till I was getting ready to move out and a new teacher ( a Male!) was about to move in. When I was collecting my last pay I was shocked to find that I was being charged for all the repairs that were never done to the apartment. The foreign managers were no help at any time with my complaints and esp. at the end they backed the Chinese management in trying to charge me for these never done repairs. This school was a living hell for most of the foreign teaching staff. No one shed a tear when they left.

So my advice keep away from Xian Aston!
Dana

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:15 AM]

Return to Index › China: Xian Aston - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -