TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › INTERESTING excerpts from this week's ESL Jobs in China ad postings - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent brad - 2007-07-04
GANG AN BAD COMPANY - Teachers Discussion

im just giving a warning to people looking at gangan company in guangdong province they are a bad company and deduct money, worked with them and didnt pay the money they owed me at end of contract BEWARE.

#2 Parent Michael - 2006-08-19
thanks - Teachers Discussion

Some good points... I'll try to respond IMO

> But would you be interested in a job at an institution that had a
> poorly built website?

Probably not. IMO, an organisation's website says a lot about the organisation itself - it's a key means of communication with the intended audience and should be a relection of what the company represents... shoddy website, shoddy company...

Or only in their native language?

Hmmm... possibly. But if a school is recruiting native speakers on a regular basis I would expect their website to have a least one page in English telling me about the school/work conditions etc.

> It may be hard enough, or expensive enough, to build a website in
> their own language, let alone English. To properly build it would
> require a foreigner adept enough in computers and the internet to
> build a good one.

It's neither hard nore expensive to produce a professional looking website these days. You dont need an adept foreigner to build the site - just provide translation of its content

And some of the sites have been in use for years
> and haven't been changed or updated. With ever-changing teachers and
> services, it would get expensive after a while.

There is not really much excuse for not updating your website

> Also, some places just aren't big enough yet to provide each employee
> with a terminal to be able to check email often enough to make
> corporate mail services for everybody reasonable.

True, but I'm not sure it's relevant to the point being made...

> Another problem, which we went through last year, is that a savvy
> manager can go throgh everybody's mail from their terminal in their
> office. Nothing private about it, always keeping an eye on the
> employees business.

Recruiting staff is not an employee's personal business, surely. Should the person responsible for hiring staff be saying things in emails on a company computer that they wouldn't want their employer to read...?

But with a personal email like yahoo, it stays
> personal. The HR or recruiter or solicitor can freely rummage through
> responses without Big Brother looking over their shoulder.

What is personal about recruiting staff?

> But I do agree that it looks a bit sloppy or fly-by-night. I try to
> weed out people by emailing them back and forth several times, and
> see if they can keep up, what kind of delays there are, how well they
> understand questions and answers, if they give any conflicting info
> from their original ads, ask for reference email addresses from other
> teachers, etc. Just like anywhere else, I try to put them through
> their paces first before I give them much info about me. Which can be
> time consuming, but maybe job searches should be!

Sensible advice... but recruiting with a personal email sends such a negative message to me that I wouldn't bother going through the time consuming process...

Just my opinion... thanks for yours

#3 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-19
Websites - Teachers Discussion

But would you be interested in a job at an institution that had a poorly built website? Or only in their native language?
It may be hard enough, or expensive enough, to build a website in their own language, let alone English. To properly build it would require a foreigner adept enough in computers and the internet to build a good one. And some of the sites have been in use for years and haven't been changed or updated. With ever-changing teachers and services, it would get expensive after a while.
Also, some places just aren't big enough yet to provide each employee with a terminal to be able to check email often enough to make corporate mail services for everybody reasonable.
Another problem, which we went through last year, is that a savvy manager can go throgh everybody's mail from their terminal in their office. Nothing private about it, always keeping an eye on the employees business. But with a personal email like yahoo, it stays personal. The HR or recruiter or solicitor can freely rummage through responses without Big Brother looking over their shoulder.
But I do agree that it looks a bit sloppy or fly-by-night. I try to weed out people by emailing them back and forth several times, and see if they can keep up, what kind of delays there are, how well they understand questions and answers, if they give any conflicting info from their original ads, ask for reference email addresses from other teachers, etc. Just like anywhere else, I try to put them through their paces first before I give them much info about me. Which can be time consuming, but maybe job searches should be!

#4 Parent Frank - 2006-08-18
LATE-BREAKING additions... - Teachers Discussion

It seems I posted those new job ad excerpts a few hours too soon Here are some late-breaking additions to the long list of intriguing/entertaining/horrifying job posts of recent days:

filipino teachers needed Posted By: Cada company <mongolia66@yahoo.com.cn>
Date: 18 August 2006

Dear Sir/Madame
I am James,Inner Mongolia,China.now we need some qualified teachers .salary 3000-3200 rmb monthly.you also can find extra job out of the school.Middle-school students.you will share one apartment(different room) with other teachers.If we can accept you,you should come here immediately.thank you.looking forward to hearing from you soon.James.

Kindergarten in Yanan city,Shananxi province - English job offered
Posted By: BSTC agency <dorishr@gmail.com>

Kindergarten in Yanan city,Shananxi province.
Offer 3500RMB per month
20 classes per week
You will share a apartment with another teacher.
The school teacher want to have an interview with you.
If you fail,the school will not reimburse tickets to you.
It is very good if you are in Shananxi province.
If you are interested,please send your resume and passport copy and diploma copy to Doris dorishr@gmail.com
Att: No Philippine

HuaiNan - English job offered
Posted By: AnHui HuaiNan LeDuDu English school <Jessefrost_hz@hotmail.com>

Our students are kids,the age is from 7-15, so we welcome those who had experience in teaching english with kids,young energetic outgoing yet responisive teachers.The course is mainly teaching oral english.
We would love those one who are already in China,holding a Z-visa and TEFL/TESOL,or CELTA certificate.

Fuan near Hongkong,Fujian province - English job offered
Posted By: Fuan Sunlight kindergarten <sunnia78@126.com>

we need six foreign teachers August/September we are a famous kindergarten in Fuan city, Fujian province,Fuan is near Hongkong,if you are interested at our kindergarten,please contact with me soon.
1. Salary-
A monthly salary of RMB 5000-5500 will be paid.
For each day of authorized leave that is taken, 5% of this salary will be deducted.
Please note-
These deductions do not affect the kindergartens rights to terminate employment in the event of repeated lateness and or unauthorized absences or non-observance of rules.

Urgent! Immediate openings for teachers in Harbin, China - English job offered *Link*
Posted By: Yi Jian English School <yijian999@hotmail.com>

Two American, Canadian, Australasian, or English teachers needed in Harbin, China (singles and couples are welcome to apply)

- Overtime rate of RMB 50-75 per hour (as above). Note: plenty of overtime available if so desired.
- Free fully furnished apartment within walking distance of the school, with all utilities paid, except telephone and internet
- Visa facilitation (including Foreign Resident Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate and a Z-type work visa (the visa that allows you to work and get paid legally in China))

Not many schools have this facility but still advertise that they can provide this. All negotiations can be done with foreign teachers employed at the school for your protection. You are not dealing with agents or fly-by-night advertisers

While someone else might promise more, we deliver.

Our management system includes constant feedback, evaluation and supervision by a manager. If something doesn't go as well as planned, we are always there to help you fix it.

#5 Parent Frank - 2006-08-18
Your misgivings are correct! - Teachers Discussion

Yes, Michael, your misgivings about the use of personal email addresses in job postings are absolutely correct!

Unfortunately, that symptom only scratches the surface of what lies beneath. These folks often represent schools only in that they learned of an opening at school and just took it upon themselves to snag a teacher on the schools behalf so that they can collect a hefty finders fee. Other times, the school actually asks these people for help in procuring a new teacher. Many times the agent will claim they are employees or administrators of the school, when indeed, this is not true. All sorts of tricks are used in luring teachers from overseas, including endless false promises and misrepresentations of the actual work and living conditions at the school. I could go on and on

Red flags abound in these job postings. One must be extremely cautious when considering their first teaching job (especially) in China. The selected excerpts that I highlighted from these job postings are illustrations of poor turns-of-phrase, amusing misspellings, etc. which can often indicate trouble ahead.

As for the school or companys website, they are often non-existent, or when they do, they are composed only in Chinese (or with laughable English translations), or riddled with inaccurate or false information. Websites are just one more element in the job-search endeavor that usually cannot be trusted. Handsome campus (or area) photos are often used as a substitution for true information. Cosmetics are often the name-of-the-game in China. Its hard to know what (or who) is truly behind the curtain!

Thanks for your comments!

#6 Parent Michael - 2006-08-18
Interesting... - Teachers Discussion

... to note that all of these advertisments used personal emails as means of contact... this is something I have noted about a large number of Chinese job ads.

Personally, I would never apply to a school that doesn't have a website... in fact, IMO if any type of business doesn't have a website it diminishes its credibility substantially and I would most definately not fly halfway round the would to take up a position if I had only been corresponding with someone via a personal email.

I am European and I live and work in Europe - this is where I have formed my opinion.

In this day and age is it fair to apply the same view to Asian/Chinese schools as I would to schools in Europe?

Are people in general quite happy to take a job offer from someone's personal email address...?

Frank - 2006-08-18
INTERESTING excerpts from this week's ESL Jobs in China ad postings - Teachers Discussion

Greetings, fellow FTs and job-seekers!

Here are several intriguing and/or entertaining (and/or horrifying) excerpts from ESL Jobs in China ad postings of recent days

Jiangxi - English job offered
Posted By: EXCELLENT JOB OFFER from Jiangxi, China! (Detailed info. included) <danielmaksim@hotmail.com>
Date: 17 August 2006

If you want to join May Flora School really , and you think you fit for the position , please tell me your requirement and your problems at once.And tell me where you are now , . tell me your telephone number if possible .
email me, and get response. Come and join in our wonderful school stuff.

Urgent Need ESL Teachers In Cool Beautiful Inner Mongolia - English job offered
Posted By: NorthEast High School <myschool88@hotmail.com>

High Salary for Nice Native English Speaking ESL Teachers in Inner Mongolia to teach high school students and primary school students oral english ASAP. If you are young, optimistic and willing to explore the beauty of the small city, wonderful staff and enjoy the feeling of being respected by the students and parents, please send me your resume with a copy of ur passport with pic page to myschool88@hotmail.com NOW>>>>

*Please note: living is very inexpensive in China. You should save 80-90% of your salary

Teachers will be respected by all the Chinese staff and people in town. the school will provides necessary assistance if you have any difficulties in life.

Posted By: TIANFU College of Southwestern University of Finance and Economics <sangxing888@163.com>

Welcome to teach Business Studies (A-Level) in Southwestern University of Finance and Economics?
TIAN FU College of Southwestern University of Finance and Economics

We are proud of our university and our host city, and we hope you will find it appealing as well. Below are some details about our teaching positions. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, suggestions, and recommendations you may have.

Join us! You will be treasured here!
Join us! You will be rewarded here!
Join us! You will be loved here!

luohe city - English job offered
Posted By: Henan Luohe vicational technical college <blueheartfish@yahoo.com.cn>

workload:Twenty face-to-face teaching periods

Chongqing city - English job offered

Posted By: Chongqing Golden Educational Training Center <teacherjes_03@yahoo.com>
Date: 16 August 2006

AS SOON AS YOU ARE READY for a challenging fun in our center
Chongqing Golden Educational Training Center is large enough to have a significant presence in the vast area of Chongqing Municipality of China, while at the same time, is small enough to be able to treat teachers as individuals.

need a Female from africa - English job offered
Posted By: Hunan province <cnjob@163.com>

The salary will be about 3000RMB to 3500RMB per month plus apartment. The apartment needs some work, but the school is usually helpful with making repairs.

Yulin Guangdong middle schools asap - English job offered
Posted By: ABC agency for middle schools in Yulin <pvisaoffice@yahoo.com>

WE are urgetly in need of 5 native English teachers.
we hope you could get back to us soonest.
we are recruiting for 4 middle schools
20-22 hours a week and salary is 4000-5000 rmb.
we give a round way ticket and free house
for one year contract
visa is arranged.
asap

Pingyang county,Wen zhou city, 6000RMB per month - English job offered
Posted By: BSTC agency <dorishr@gmail.com>

Of you are interested,please send your resume and passport copy and diploma copy to Doris dorishr@gmail.com
Then i will send school information and contract copy and pictures of China to you.

FoShan, Guangdong - English job offered
Posted By: GangAn English School Fushan, GoangDong prov. 6000 rmb a month <xmassimon@yahoo.com.cn>

It is a very nice city with interesting history. The famous chinese hero, Kongfu master: Mr. Huangfeihong was born here. city with kindhearted people. We are looking for English teachers starting to work from Sep 2006.For more details,please don''''t hesitate to email me at 13555410925.

kurla - English job offered
Posted By: Teachall English school <zhangjing8538@yahoo.com>

You can take part in some management of the
school it depends on your ability and experience.
We solve your visa if you would like to teach more than 6 months. we will pay both ways yraqvel tickets if you would like to stay more than one year. We provid free apartment
with all of furnitures.

Return to Index › INTERESTING excerpts from this week's ESL Jobs in China ad postings - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -